So, Alex's class chose 3 of its 'most responsible' students to form a temporary government for the class yesterday, and Alex was one of the three and chosen as president! I was tickled. Truly, though, I think his Montessori school is just different enough that the kids earnestly chose 'responsible' over 'popular'. They really do live in their own bubble there.
Alex's teacher, Ms. Leigh, is a veteran at Montessori instruction. She and her best friend, Ms. Laura, have been team-teaching forever at Ellis, and two more grounded, and level-headed teachers aren't to be found. They stay optimistic and energetic and positive...but mellow. They love hands-on activities and are open to kids' ideas. They discourage any silly boyfriend/girlfriend nonsense and have the healthiest, most scholastic mindset. Both have families with grown children.
I actually requested them for Alex when he entered second grade, but the secretary told me that they couldn't put the 'entire' second & third grade in their classrooms! I was delighted that Alex got them for 5th grade, though (as they seem to constantly switch grade levels). His stress levels have been the lowest ever this year, and Fiona seemed to become much more level-headed through her year in the 1st grade with Ms. Laura.
A middle school teacher at Ellis once confided to me, almost incredulously, that the kids at Ellis were completely 'clueless' about things like drugs and sex. We agreed that was perfect, and boy did that confirm for me that it was the place to send my own kids.
Anyhow, just feeling surprised and pleased that Alex was chosen as president by his classmates...and clearly for the right reasons. He's also getting a special field trip next week for receiving a top CRCT score in the fifth grade.
Know what my sweetie said? "I think it's just because Ms. Leigh and Ms. Laura are the best teachers, as all the winners except for one came from their classrooms!" He's so modest...
No comments:
Post a Comment