Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Fiona & Clothes

Oops...I caused my daughter much grief this morning through a simple misunderstanding. Apparently, she was trying to tell me she could wear her Ellis t-shirt today, though generally it's only allowed on Fridays. I thought she was saying that she could wear it any day, when it's been made quite clear that it's only Fridays... Anyway, I made her wear a regular uniform shirt and she bawled her eyes out. I tried to tell her that I would ask her teacher about it next time I'm in, but of course I didn't get it was a one-day deal.
They had a special read-all-day with pillows and sleeping bags and such today. Used to be 'pajama day', but uniform rules being what they are, well...
Anyhow, she did wear a too-cute new skort (hopefully within regulations!) I got her yesterday at Once Upon a Child. Actually, Fiona has grown phenomenally this past year. Clothes I bought at the beginning of the school year are already too small (and I buy big, generally!). We have just gotten rid of loads of clothes, and I was dismayed by the nearly empty drawers in her dresser. First time for everything!
Anyhow, I surprised her yesterday by going by Once Upon a Child. I bought something like 5 skorts, 5 jeans, 3 shorts, 7 tops, a new swimsuit...oh and some socks and 3 more shirts for Alex. Everything too cute and many with store tags still, all for $155. Anyhow, I'm tickled again about it. I loaded her up with all the stuff last night, and Michael mumbled, "You do realize her birthday is just next week?" Oh right...oops! She'll be eight...my favorite year of childhood and favorite number, too.
We're just going to have a quiet evening at home with a few presents. I can't deal with another big party. Nope. I'm elated that she's happy with the idea of a 'princess day' with a friend down the road soon. Pedicures, a dolphin tour, skating, that sort of thing.
Alex is eleven, but he's still wearing mostly the same clothes, thank goodness. Can you imagine what it'll be like in a couple of years? I think my brother shot up 6 inches in a summer once...maybe not, but something like that!

No comments: