Sunday, May 16, 2010

New Savannah Discoveries

Okay, I've talked about being excited about the ballets at Savannah Arts Academy, but now I'm going to have to go and check out the SCAD schedule of events, too... Some very clever PR person at SCAD managed to list with MSN movies for their Lucas Theatre production. I thought the 'movie' sounded interesting, and so we went there for our anniversary date (ironically, the show was called 'The Impossible Marriage'). Was I surprised when I entered the theatre only to find that it was a live play! We enjoyed it tremendously. There's just something about a live performance that seems so much more fun than a movie, for some reason. I had not mentioned to Michael that the movie tickets were $15 apiece, thinking them a bit steep, but it was actually a fabulous deal!

Just before the play, we ate at Troy Meditteranean Restaurant on 204, which is phenomenal!!! Absolutely lovely, much nicer than I expected from the look of the place. Not cheap, but the food was perfect and the waitress as sweet as could be.
We've wanted to go there for ages, but we are big-time creatures of habit. We stick with our safe, comfortable spots, but when things turn out to be so nice, we kind of kick ourselves for not venturing to new places more often. We get bolder and bolder until...the Chinese waiter screams at us after serving us huge meat platters we really didn't order (and then chases us through the parking lot as we're leaving, threatening to call the police) OR the food tastes like pasteboard with food dye OR there are lumpy mystery bits in my soup that I talk myself into eating and then feel sick afterwards (and every time I see the restaurant for years!) OR well, I could go on, but I'll scare myself into sticking with Olive Garden and Moe's again!

In contrast, we FINALLY went to the big carnival that comes every year (or more often?) on Eisenhower at the Armory. I've meant to every time I've seen it, and finally we made a point of taking the kids on Friday evening. Honestly, it was an experience that I'm glad to have had. Memorable and almost farcical. The condition of the rides was scary! On one ride, I swear that rust flakes were falling in my face as it turned us upside down. Half the lights were out on the rides, and the carnie folks were, um, interesting characters. I refuse to admit my age, so I kept riding these rides that made me feel completely nauseated, and there are no nice & slow 'Small World' rides or any such. Did I really like anything there? Yes...there was a really sweet & friendly lady at the huge slide (we all liked that!), and I had a funnel cake for the very first time, which was sinfully good!

No comments: