Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Broody Hen

The pullets are doing well. We only have three, and they don't give us quite enough eggs to keep us well-stocked, but we've only bought eggs once or twice since they've begun laying. Too bad there are no extras for friends or neighbors...

I thought about getting more chickens, but they have this habit of squawking occasionally, and, even though there's no rooster crowing, they can get quite raucous back there at the hoot of an owl or at the shadow of an osprey. So, for the time being, we'll just stick with our three almost-hens. (I believe they're technically pullets until they turn one year old.)

Bach is our larger black Australorp, and she recently turned a bit broody when I failed to collect the eggs one day. I waited for her to leave, but I eventually reached under her and took out the eggs that evening. When she stayed in there for a time, I finally fished her out, too, and she stayed out.

The next morning, Bach was again in there when I let the chickens out in the morning. I gave her an hour more in there, and then I returned and reached in and pulled her out, though her hackles were raised. I was surprised there were no eggs (though there normally aren't in the morning). I set Bach down, and she stood there in the strangest position, sort of crouching, with those feathers sticking out. I watched, and, to my amazement, an egg suddenly thudded onto the ground! (Intact, thankfully.)

I did feel a bit sheepish, but I thought the extra hour would have been enough time! Anyhow, I think it's sweet that Bach has those broody urges, but, given that we don't have a rooster, it's pointless! No sense in her wasting her time in there.

Let's see...just thought I'd mention an observation that Michael made. I think I will avoid getting chickens with 'beards' from now on. I've given Chloe a terrible time about being rather stupid. It takes her so much longer to eat, and she seems fairly dim-witted quite a lot. However, Salmon Faverolles sport big feathers on their faces, and Michael pointed out that she can't see well because of them. Therefore, it's harder for her to see and react to her surroundings. I guess I shouldn't blast selective breeding too much this time, as it's why we get such prolific layers of nice, big eggs, but it does seem a shame when people breed those poor creatures so whimsically to create 'interesting' features, like the beards. Now I feel guilty for supporting those whims by ordering her!

While I'm on that topic, I'll just say I feel the same about poor little unnatural chihuahuas. Their nerves are so fraught that they shake all the time, and they can hardly give birth naturally... I never have understood the popularity of those 'rat dogs', as we call them here!

No comments: