So, I'm updating a friend at lunch yesterday on my novel, and she says in all innocence, "Sounds just like a Harlequin romance." I was crushed. Of course, I'd said basically the same thing, but it's not what I want to hear from others! I'm trying to soothe myself by thinking that she hasn't read it...so, if you're writing, be cautious about sharing random bits or synopses, as you may not get the reaction you'd like!
In turn, I get to hear her adventures in internet dating. Sounds awful! She's a resilient, social type, though, unlike myself. I'm lucky to be out of all of that and to have an oft-doting hubby. I'll just live in my own bubble and make adventures up or read them!
Oh, she also mentioned that she'd described me to someone as 'really nice, always worried that she'll offend someone.' Ugh! It's ridiculously true, at least the last bit. Before we met, I had actually changed my shirt from the one that Michael bought me (with the 'Please don't annoy the author, as she may put you in a book and kill you'), as I wasn't sure if it would bother her sensibilities (as she's into energetic therapies and yoga), though I'd initially been excited about showing it to her. Then, when we were walking to lunch, she mentioned a woman who's given her trouble and said, "I may just have to kill her ass." I laughed and kicked myself for being so worried about the silly t-shirt.
Don't you know, I've also started worrying that people would take that joke personally on my blog, too? It's just supposed to be funny, and I haven't intentionally created any novel characters to be just like anyone that I know personally. In retrospect, I can identify all sorts of similarities, but I had a general plot in mind before I began, including deaths and such, so don't take anything too personally if you ever read it! I'm attached to all the characters, including the villain and unfortunate victims of circumstance, and I've cried at the awful things that have happened in the book. Anyway, I'm determined to use a pen name if I ever try to get published...
My sensitive little Pisces moon nature must be reacting to the Pisces moon in the sky right now. Back to my secure little bubble, I think...almost 6,000 words to go.
No comments:
Post a Comment