

The school year is coming to an end. The kids have another full week of school, but they are so done already. No more homework, of course, and pizza parties, field trips, field days and all such have already occurred...so I have no idea what they're going to do with the last week of school, except for count the minutes!
Fiona has her dance recital tomorrow, which will wrap up her dance year until the fall, I believe. It's been a tedious week of dance rehearsals, but thankfully the recital is only an hour and a half or so with Ms. Maxine. She divides the girls into separate recitals, so it doesn't take an eternity!
I have been doing some new things lately...I sewed a dress for Fiona's doll, which we were both excited about. I made the most incredible non-dairy pizza (in my own opinion!) with a sweet onion sauce (2 Vidalias for one pizza!) with my own dough and all. Cakes and cupcakes from a mix, but surprisingly good with a homemade buttercream (very dairy!) frosting... I've thought about posting recipes, and I actually did write down the pizza recipe. Unfortunately, the pizza was too good, and I can't afford to make that very often, or I'll pack on the pounds like there's no tomorrow! I'm generally a bit better about the sweets, except for mochas and the like!
Let's see...I 'mucked out' the chicken coop today. I've always kinda wanted to 'muck out' a stall, so this was pretty close! I then pressure-washed the chicken coop and back of the house, with Michael's and Fiona's help! It's pretty amazing to see what a difference it makes...always making me wonder why I don't do it more often.
Meanwhile, Michael was working on our sad air conditioner AGAIN. It's been a quite the problematic appliance this year. I believe we hurt its feelings when we were looking quite seriously at getting an energy-efficient unit, which turned out to be unviable with our space, unfortunately. It's been wailing ever since...
Now for shopping...here's another plug for the fantastic Savannah consignment shops. After searching for a fancy party dress throughout the mall unsuccessfully, I ended up stopping by Plato's Closet and getting one for $10! I received compliments on it at the party and when I happily shared about the 'deal' with total strangers (hoping to boost Plato's business), I was tacitly informed that that's one of those things we don't need to mention when in social gatherings... hmm! Honestly, though, it's not like I'd brag if I'd spent $100 on it, it's the deal and the concept that makes it worth mentioning! I also found some fabulous pinstripe Old Navy slacks and a black sequined top and gorgeous flamboyant summer handbag...all totaling, with the dress, only $36 or so! Not quite cheap like Goodwill, but they have great taste and a great selection at Plato's Closet, so it's FUN shopping.
Then, today, I just happened to pop into Once Upon a Child on a whim, just to peruse but thinking it rather redundant, as I thought I'd prepared the kids for the summer already. It was packed...what a madhouse! I couldn't help but ask another mother what was up, and she told me it was 70% off of clothes with a 'stripe' on the tag (including almost all summer items)...for 2 hours only! I couldn't resist...I went a bit bezerk myself, but for goodness sakes...brand new Abercrombie polo for $2, jean shorts for $1.50, etc.! I got Fiona a TON of stuff that she didn't need and perhaps a couple of items that she did need. In fact, I'm asking her to pick through her clothes a bit to share some of our finds with her cousin Elizabeth. Poor Alex... I only ended up with three more shirts for him. Michael did his shopping, but the boy's section is far smaller, and his size pants and shorts were already gone. It was a bit more than $75 that we spent, including a few 'non-sale' items. Actually, it was funny...when the dubious cashier told Michael that he had selected a couple of non-sale items, Michael answered, "but not really...everything's on sale!" She didn't get that he meant the deals were fabulous even without 70% off! And they were... For example, I bought a brand new uniform dress with Children's Place store tags intact for $5.50! A $22 still-original-store-tagged cute terry skirt that will be perfect with a swimsuit was $3.50 and 'not on sale'. Anyhow, not to mislead...most of the clothes are gently used, but those are striking examples, to me at least! And, as I've said before, the shop has very good taste, for the most part!
Another 'whim' today was a stop in Staples. Can you believe the fabulous deals on laptops these days? I've got this old one from a decade ago...and I actually have a prehistoric dinosaur laptop solely for journaling (believe it or not, I don't share everything on my blog!). Anyhow, I've had a few issues with this one, though it's behaving perfectly lovely today. I am beginning to lust after the mini-notebooks, though. What a cute, convenient 'travel-size' computer. I oscillated between the gorgeous big-screen laptops with their tons of memory and RAM and all, but Michael asked the pertinent question, "Do you ever not bring your laptop with you because of it's size and bulk?" Yes! All the time. These adorable little mini-notebooks have a 10" screen, so not too bad. They have slim little padded sleeves, which could easily slide into a larger tote. Only $300 and less than 3 lbs! I could carry it everywhere! Groovy! And I'd love to get one for each of the kids at some point, too, for them to tote to school. How nice to just have it with them and not have to deal with waiting for school computers...
Lots of shopping talk...I have again been listening to Becky Bloomwood in her Shopaholic series! That's by author Sophie Kinsella. These books are much better on audio than in print, actually, just as a sidenote. The speech flows naturally, but it doesn't read as well. Her books are cute and silly, mostly, but they do put me in a shopping frame of mind. Becky loves her deals, too!
Okay, well, that's my update for now. I have been wanting to post random pics of some of these things (like the doll dress and the pizza, believe it or not!), but I've had software and computer issues. Hopefully I'll figure it out by next week, though, as I'll also have Fiona in her dance costumes, hopefully!
Fiona has her dance recital tomorrow, which will wrap up her dance year until the fall, I believe. It's been a tedious week of dance rehearsals, but thankfully the recital is only an hour and a half or so with Ms. Maxine. She divides the girls into separate recitals, so it doesn't take an eternity!
I have been doing some new things lately...I sewed a dress for Fiona's doll, which we were both excited about. I made the most incredible non-dairy pizza (in my own opinion!) with a sweet onion sauce (2 Vidalias for one pizza!) with my own dough and all. Cakes and cupcakes from a mix, but surprisingly good with a homemade buttercream (very dairy!) frosting... I've thought about posting recipes, and I actually did write down the pizza recipe. Unfortunately, the pizza was too good, and I can't afford to make that very often, or I'll pack on the pounds like there's no tomorrow! I'm generally a bit better about the sweets, except for mochas and the like!
Let's see...I 'mucked out' the chicken coop today. I've always kinda wanted to 'muck out' a stall, so this was pretty close! I then pressure-washed the chicken coop and back of the house, with Michael's and Fiona's help! It's pretty amazing to see what a difference it makes...always making me wonder why I don't do it more often.
Meanwhile, Michael was working on our sad air conditioner AGAIN. It's been a quite the problematic appliance this year. I believe we hurt its feelings when we were looking quite seriously at getting an energy-efficient unit, which turned out to be unviable with our space, unfortunately. It's been wailing ever since...
Now for shopping...here's another plug for the fantastic Savannah consignment shops. After searching for a fancy party dress throughout the mall unsuccessfully, I ended up stopping by Plato's Closet and getting one for $10! I received compliments on it at the party and when I happily shared about the 'deal' with total strangers (hoping to boost Plato's business), I was tacitly informed that that's one of those things we don't need to mention when in social gatherings... hmm! Honestly, though, it's not like I'd brag if I'd spent $100 on it, it's the deal and the concept that makes it worth mentioning! I also found some fabulous pinstripe Old Navy slacks and a black sequined top and gorgeous flamboyant summer handbag...all totaling, with the dress, only $36 or so! Not quite cheap like Goodwill, but they have great taste and a great selection at Plato's Closet, so it's FUN shopping.
Then, today, I just happened to pop into Once Upon a Child on a whim, just to peruse but thinking it rather redundant, as I thought I'd prepared the kids for the summer already. It was packed...what a madhouse! I couldn't help but ask another mother what was up, and she told me it was 70% off of clothes with a 'stripe' on the tag (including almost all summer items)...for 2 hours only! I couldn't resist...I went a bit bezerk myself, but for goodness sakes...brand new Abercrombie polo for $2, jean shorts for $1.50, etc.! I got Fiona a TON of stuff that she didn't need and perhaps a couple of items that she did need. In fact, I'm asking her to pick through her clothes a bit to share some of our finds with her cousin Elizabeth. Poor Alex... I only ended up with three more shirts for him. Michael did his shopping, but the boy's section is far smaller, and his size pants and shorts were already gone. It was a bit more than $75 that we spent, including a few 'non-sale' items. Actually, it was funny...when the dubious cashier told Michael that he had selected a couple of non-sale items, Michael answered, "but not really...everything's on sale!" She didn't get that he meant the deals were fabulous even without 70% off! And they were... For example, I bought a brand new uniform dress with Children's Place store tags intact for $5.50! A $22 still-original-store-tagged cute terry skirt that will be perfect with a swimsuit was $3.50 and 'not on sale'. Anyhow, not to mislead...most of the clothes are gently used, but those are striking examples, to me at least! And, as I've said before, the shop has very good taste, for the most part!
Another 'whim' today was a stop in Staples. Can you believe the fabulous deals on laptops these days? I've got this old one from a decade ago...and I actually have a prehistoric dinosaur laptop solely for journaling (believe it or not, I don't share everything on my blog!). Anyhow, I've had a few issues with this one, though it's behaving perfectly lovely today. I am beginning to lust after the mini-notebooks, though. What a cute, convenient 'travel-size' computer. I oscillated between the gorgeous big-screen laptops with their tons of memory and RAM and all, but Michael asked the pertinent question, "Do you ever not bring your laptop with you because of it's size and bulk?" Yes! All the time. These adorable little mini-notebooks have a 10" screen, so not too bad. They have slim little padded sleeves, which could easily slide into a larger tote. Only $300 and less than 3 lbs! I could carry it everywhere! Groovy! And I'd love to get one for each of the kids at some point, too, for them to tote to school. How nice to just have it with them and not have to deal with waiting for school computers...
Lots of shopping talk...I have again been listening to Becky Bloomwood in her Shopaholic series! That's by author Sophie Kinsella. These books are much better on audio than in print, actually, just as a sidenote. The speech flows naturally, but it doesn't read as well. Her books are cute and silly, mostly, but they do put me in a shopping frame of mind. Becky loves her deals, too!
Okay, well, that's my update for now. I have been wanting to post random pics of some of these things (like the doll dress and the pizza, believe it or not!), but I've had software and computer issues. Hopefully I'll figure it out by next week, though, as I'll also have Fiona in her dance costumes, hopefully!
No comments:
Post a Comment