Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Tapestry edit

Yay!  I'm 75% through with my first complete edit of Tapestry.  I have a suspicion that the last quarter will take a little more work as it's definitely seen the least review, but we'll see how it goes. 

It's curious that, when I switch to dialogue, the other commentary seems to fall away.  I have no trouble going on for pages about someone's musings, but once they start talking, forget it!  At least, that was first draft.  I believe I'm resolving all that and adding the clarifying, "he said, she asked" where appropriate.

Anyhow, that's my progress bar there!  First complete edit is by no means last edit, and I'm shipping them off to my BFF for her editing notes.  So far, and she's returned maybe the first third of the book, there haven't been nearly as many changes as with the first book, but I'd like to think it's because I absorbed some of her lessons the first time.  She kept railing, "No, Sonya, you can't call characters by a bunch of different names--you need a system."  Honestly, that's far from the truth...she'll make a clear suggestion and won't argue, but she'll repeat the suggestion over and over as the situation recurrs, until I've argued myself out and accepted it!  Afterwards, I wonder why I'm so hard-headed, when I finally adopt the system and see that she's absolutely right!

So, anyhow, I had a bit of a learning curve while editing Silk, and I'm hoping that's why Tapestry is showing far fewer corrections (cuz it's really, super-good! Right?).  I try to stick with one name in the general writing, only resorting to pet names in dialogue, though I have a few exceptions to that, depending on whose perspective we're working from.  I'm afraid I'm still not absolutely consistent!  We'll see what she says.

Anyhow, I suppose I'm excited to have some sort of goal to focus on in the endless editing process!  Hah...I think this is hard?  There's no telling what a publishing house might do to my books!  Hack, cut, slice...

No comments: