So, Alex finally gets his 'birthday party' today. This, like Fiona's last birthday, will consist of Michael taking Alex and two of his friends out for a 'fun day'--movie, laser tag, etc. So much fun for them, and a HUGE relief for me. That Greek God party last year 'bout done me in! So cool, great memory, but a major drain on energy, time, and creativity--plus, I'm a recluse by nature, and the whole socializing with a horde of folks at once is fairly traumatic to my psyche!
My theory right now is that I might be able to persuade them to do this 'fun day' option at least every other year. Then, maybe, I won't mind the work and planning that goes into a big shindig so much. Truly, I didn't think I could face throwing a party again at Fiona's birthday last year, but I might be up to it this year (though I wouldn't complain if she opts for something else).
Fiona was very graciously given the option to join them (not an offer made to him for the girl outing for Fiona's birthday, I don't believe!). While she was tempted by all the fun events, I was floored when she opted for staying home with me--to clean her room! I did say that I would help direct her, whereas generally I just tell her to clean it. It's pretty awful, though, and the child employs some major avoidance strategies (including storying, unfortunately) to not do it.
Actually, she's very excited about what comes after the room cleaning. She's got three craftsy/artsy projects to choose from...I will let you know what we pick (if we get to it, which Michael doubts, given the state of her room).
Truly, though, I think my little girl wants to simply spend a day with me. Alex went to Michael's office yesterday, and she came home. We had a fun time playing the Wii together, after an emergency bicycle trip to check out where she thought she saw a lost bunny (not ours). She's been gone so much lately for sleepovers and trips that she really needs the down time at home/with mommy. What a sweetie-pie!
No comments:
Post a Comment