Thursday, January 6, 2011

Fierce, Wild Rabbits!

I had no idea that rabbits were really so violent. We introduced Beebop a few months ago to our two other rabbits. There was some fighting, and we segregated Beebop for a while, but we gradually allowed her to remain out with the other rabbits, feeling relieved when we saw that she was gaining agility and could give as good as she got. She's the smallest of the three and also the cuddliest.
The rabbit that we've had for the longest time is Lorelai, a large white albino rabbit. I've had a few qualms about her dealing with the weather outside. In the summer, I worry that her thick fur and lack of eye pigmentation will cause stroke or blindness. In the winter, she's been the one who seemed most grateful to come and just sit by the fire.
Lorelai is large and slow, but she's also the most aggressive, generally. We've all been concerned for sweet little fuzzy gray Beebop, but Fiona spied Lorelai completely bloody and torn up this morning. We believe it was Beebop--as the two have been fighting like wildcats for the past couple of days. Beebop has had more than her share of scabs, too, but nothing like this. I can't believe it's come to this, but I think that Lorelai has seen the end of her outdoor life. It'll be mostly cage time from now on, I suppose. When we first got Lorelai, she and Lizzie were caged rabbits and seemed rather stupid to me, but after they'd been outdoor rabbits for a short time, the glazed look left their eyes and they seemed animated and aware and properly reactive. I'm sorry that Lorelai is having to go back to the caged life, but there seems little else to do. Prison it is.
Lorelai is not unique in her aggression, as Zoe is also an aggressive rabbit, and I am not completely sure that Beebop's vengeance is entirely in self-defense. I am reminded of the Monty Python violent rabbit. It seemed so very wrong then, but now I am understanding what may have inspired it. I hope that caging Lorelai allows the other two to settle down...
Oh, and to top it all off, Rachel the Chicken is molting right now, so she looks rough, too. I had been relating the rabbits to the chickens...I had thought that the fighting amongst the rabbits would settle down as they got used to one another, like chickens with their 'pecking order', but apparently not. The chickens seem so nice and orderly in comparison...going to bed regularly and rising with the sun and generally getting along...and they give us eggs (except, actually, the days are too short right now!)...

No comments: