Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Ack! A Month-Long Skinny-fying Chart!

Remember that Month-Long Novel Writing Chart, designed to do something pretty remarkable?  Well, it worked for me, and I once joked that I needed something like that for weight management.  I had hoped not to focus too much on the weight stuff and just use normal self-restraint to get a grip, but unfortunately, I seem to have become increasingly indulgent with myself, if the scale and my clothes are any indication!  So, in an effort to reverse this trend, I have created a Month-Long Skinny-fying chart--totally cute and peppy!  Different levels of stars for varying levels of calorie control (meaning I actually have to count calories, ick!), only, with no adjustments for exercise.  I decided to leave out exercise as a star factor because I actually have to be pretty detached to that, given my fussy joints and all, and I don't want to be disheartened if my body's not up to it!  The calorie control should be something I can do any time, though, without negatively impacting my body.  However, and I love this, I get a cute stamp on the days that I exercise, in addition to my calorie control star.  That way, there's independent incentive.
Ideally, once I focus on all this for the next month, I'll get in 'the zone' and remain there, since obviously I won't get where I want to be in one single month.  And calorie control is a bit like writing a novel--the first week is definitely hardest.  (Meaning...I may not have to keep putting the energy into a chart, and bothering with 'counting' all the calories, once I'm used to it and have established a pattern.  That said, if it works, perhaps I should continue!)
So, it's all positive and peppy.  Yes, there's weight tracking, but it's based on plus numbers--as in counting pounds lighter, not writing the Number-Which-Shall-Not-Be-Named.  The word count tally on the side, which I filled to hit 50,000 words?  Well, now it's got a scale on the bottom, instead of a typewriter, and it maxes out at lightening by 10 pounds (my very reasonable hope for one month!).  
Okay, so...we'll see how this goes.  I'm excited by the idea.  NO punishment or Negative words allowed, except in this paragraph to explain.  I get to eat ANYTHING I want--deprivation is not part of this!  We just count calories...so I can absolutely have whatever, within reason, quantity-wise.  We don't say negative words and ideas (like weight loss, as if it's a loss).  All happy, no punishment.  I get stickers and stars and, eventually, hopefully, I'll get to fit into some of my 'skinnier' clothes--maybe.  Maybe not, though, as I can't exercise like I used to.  But any trimming up is better than the gradual packing on of pounds!
I seriously doubt I ever hit my ideal 'skinny' weight--partly because I'm pretty insane about it.  I've actually never in my life, even when I was too thin briefly as a teenager, been actually happy with my weight.  I completely adore skeletal actresses such as Natalie Portman and Emma Watson--but I do realize those weights are completely absurd for me.  So, instead of focusing on some insane, idealized hope, I'm going to focus on my own clothes that I have packed away and on my star stickers and cutesy stamps.
Yes, I realize hearing these reports will be much more mundane than hearing about my writing progress (because I know you were riveted by that, right?!), but let's think of it as part of the author package.  'Cuz you know what?  If I make it big in the writing world, then they'll want interviews and book signings and all.  And, hey, let's face it, we'd rather see the authors of our beloved books looking as great as possible, right?
Note...this is NOT a topic I typically like to discuss publicly, but that author accountability thing with reporting my chart progress worked well for me, and I tend to stick to things better if I state them publicly!  You have no idea how often in the past year, on an evening after I've stuffed myself, that I've resolved to get a grip.  It sometimes works for a day or so, but then I'm distracted and let it go.  Just talking to myself doesn't cut it!  So, you get to listen and see if this works. 
Just like the writing, which I'd tried before and not finished, I've got a system, a totally new system for me, and I'm optimistically expecting it to work just like the writing chart, where I've got the '10 pounds lighter' banner filled in completely or nearly so in a month.  Meanwhile, I'm totally still dedicated to editing.  I'm definitely not ready to begin book 3 for a time, as I've got a lot of kinks to work out with books 1&2.  At the moment, I'm inclined back towards getting them pulled together and published as e-books ASAP, within reason.  This new resolve has to do with the realization that Rowling and Meyer did not wait to write their whole series before publishing!  But we'll see...it's just one more book planned for the trilogy, for now!

No comments: