I've heard that you should read through your book seven times before submitting it for publication. That sounded excessive, but I realize that I'm approaching that number with Tapestry! In fact, before writing each day, I generally reviewed the previous day's work, so that could be considered a 'first' read-thru. Then, in the evenings, I would read the new pages aloud to Michael, hence a second and third read-thru/edit of sorts. Before submitting the story to my friend for proofing, I gave it another big read, with a lot of changes (#4). Then, she reviewed it (#5). Now, I'm going thru again (#6), still finding small problems. After my personal edits, I'm again reading aloud to Michael in the evenings (#7 and #8!). Even scrapping Laura's and Michael's read-thrus and only counting mine (which I think that 7 read-thru recommendation was talking about), I'm up at about five times now! I suppose it's true!
I just finished my last personal read-thru this morning. I'll continue with Michael in the evenings, and we're about half done right now.
I plan to go back to Silk for a while after this and, when I've edited that once again, come back to Tapestry for a final read-thru. FINAL, right? It's hard to fathom that I've been at it for nearly a year now, when it only took me a month to write the first draft of Silk.
I received a fortune cookie a while back that said, "Your dream will come true in six months." I thought, six months? But my books will be out before then! I'm starting to think that fortune knew its stuff, though!
No comments:
Post a Comment