So, I'm sitting here at the Sentient Bean, a funky little cafe here in Savannah. I thought it would be cool to write in a cafe, like JK Rowling, you know? But, actually, it's not so much. How do people relax and focus with a bunch of other folks milling about? Maybe you get used to it...
Let's see, I did have a thought brewing about influences. It's interesting how many folks influence your life. You can try so hard to resist, and yet, your sheer reaction to being influenced is evidence of being influenced in and of itself!
Hmm, but that's life, I guess. We would do nothing if not inspired by what we see and hear. If we like what we see, then we may be inspired to incorporate or include bits of that in our own lives and thoughts. If we react to what we see, we might eliminate bits that would naturally be present.
I guess it's evidence of the interconnected web that we all share.
I can think of how fairly minor conversations or remarks by friends have helped to shape major elements of my life. It's often a combination of these elements that lead to the formation of many of our decisions. Yes, it's often difficult to pinpoint a single remark that was the turning point, but certain ones do stand out. For instance, I was very excited about reading my friend's new novel, when another friend casually remarked, "Sonya, YOU should write books." That small, lighthearted comment had major impact. I needed to hear that little bit of encouragement, and, you know, I don't think she's yet aware that I acted on her suggestion!
What's the impetus for this blog, though? I realized that I've gotten away from my more philosophical or inspirational blogs in lieu of more mundane topics. Those mundane topics are great, of course, and I love to talk about what the kids are doing or recount the specifics of my progress towards goal objectives. However, I think that my diversion from more thoughtful discussions occurred as a result of influences, or perhaps resistance to those influences--and, you know, I have a real issue with living my life as a reaction to others. I suppose we all do respond to others, to a certain extent, but I hope to have more solidity, more groundedness as a person.
That said, I'll discount that completely with the thought that perhaps it also has to do with my novel writing, which is emotional and mostly devoid of philosophical or moral lessons. I don't really mind that so much, as I'm getting in touch with my fundamental nature and allowing my creativity and emotions free reign in a safe environment. It's truly liberating, but I do miss my more idealistic, humanitarian self.
It's funny, but you know who comes to mind? Angelina Jolie. Maybe I'll be like her--put out my exciting, money-making work and then have even more power to effect a difference in the world through humanitarian venues. We can only hope. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment