Saturday, February 26, 2011

Camellias and a Taoist Thought

Taoism teaches that we should go with the flow of things.  It doesn't always pay to be rigid about schedules and plans--we'll be happier if we can glide along with how things are meant to be. 

So, today we all headed down towards the nursery near our house to look for fruit trees--specifically fig trees and blueberry bushes, but we also meant to see what else they had in that general category.
However, when we arrived, we were told that the fruit trees will be arriving over the next couple of weeks.  We were about to leave, but I saw some camellias and asked about them.  The salesperson showed us all of the camellias--including a few that were on 'clearance'.  They should have been $30 per plant, but these were ours for $5 apiece.
Ever since my mother and I took a stroll one day early last year, I've been in love with camellias--it was one of those super-enthusiastic notions I take at times.  Michael and I even looked a bit for some, but we never actually purchased any.  But today, though we'd gone intending to buy fruit trees, we came home with four camellias that are now planted in our flower bed and side yard--only a bit over $20 for $120 worth of plants!  We have one bloom, but we're not supposed to expect them to really be pretty until next year, but time flies, doesn't it?
Anyhow, we still want to give the fruit trees a go, although we tried once before with fairly dismal results. 

Oh, yes...in clearing a couple garage bins, I found the book, "The Te of Piglet" and was reminded of a favorite, "The Tao of Pooh".  I think I have my next books for the kids--or at least the Pooh one will get a shot.  We'll see how they like it.  Of all books not to insist on, I suppose the Taoist ones would be it, right?  Just go with the flow...

No comments: