Thursday, February 3, 2011

Printed Matter

So, I excitedly printed off a copy of Tapestry, eager to share it with Silk's first 'reader'.  Of course I started to read it myself, just to see how it looked in print, and I sadly realized that there was much more editing to do...so, while it feels like a big set-back, it was clearly needed, and, sigh, I'm in the process of reading through the printed version to find mistakes and smooth things out, yet again.  Trying to catch those big boo-boos, like a ",." together and out-of-sequence meal activities again (possible, but not what I had in mind), as well as inserting needed paragraph breaks and finding better words.  Also, you probably have no idea the amount of deliberation that goes into some phrasing.  Ironically, the idea is to make it 'sound' smooth and effortless.  Also, my poor 'Synonym Finder' has already been taped back together, I use it so much (it's invaluable!).
I was also hoping to get copies printed for my mother's birthday.  Yes, I decided to share with her, as she's shown curiosity and interest.  I'm a little nervous about it, but I keep comforting myself that she enjoys all sorts of craziness on TV, and I've warned her!  However, it's not going to happen yet...
How is it that it takes longer for the editing process than the writing process?  I guess that's how some of these writers are so prolific.  Once you're a big name, you can hire editors to smooth it all out.  Except that there's something special about putting the finishing touches on your own baby.  That said, Michael was remarking on how much more relaxed I am about editing suggestions and changes.  I suppose, with time, you chill out a bit.  It's all so personal and intense when you first write...
An example of  how much more mellow I am about it occurred yesterday, when I found a big chunk of a paragraph I may just entirely delete!  I have done it before, but that feels huge to me, though I know professional editors will slice out entire pages and chapters! 
Projected Timeline?  Months, I suppose.... Yes, I'm frustrated about it and anxious to write book #3.  Some ideas are beginning to coalesce, and I'm a bit afraid of them sifting back into the ether and out of my grasp.

No comments: