Fiona had a field trip to Massie Schoolhouse yesterday. The kids actually go there a lot for field trips. I've wondered why, with all the historic sites around Savannah, that the kids keep going back there so much. I believe they've both been at least 3 times.
However, Fiona had a great time yesterday. She wrote with a quill pen and told me about the dunce cap and how girls and boys dressed in those days and how they had to sit at their desks. She was so animated and excited. I just love it, too. I'm sure it doesn't hurt that she's in the middle of reading the Felicity American Girl books right now. Though Felicity is about 75 years earlier than the Massie schoolbuilding, it's still somewhat analogous, and I think the stories help bring the history to life for her.
This morning Alex was detailing some sort of violent scene. Honestly, I hadn't been paying that much attention, but the graphic descriptions bothered me and I remarked upon it. He reassured me, "Mom, I need to understand the bad guys so that I can write really interesting action scenes." How funny--as I feel the exact same way! I was like, "Of course, proceed!" Apparently he's tacked an extra scene onto the end of his book (a strange, somewhat horrific little story). Hmm...you know, I don't think I talk about my books with him, but perhaps he overhears me talking to Michael about my progress. Funny that he'd be tacking on extra scenes to an already-written story just as I'm adding new introductory chapters to my first book. Of course, I have always felt that he was a bit of a mind-reader with me.
I've begun reading them a simple little 'Magic Tree House' book on Irish folklore--leprechauns, clurichauns, banshees, pookas, etc. It's actually quite fascinating. While I'm not a big fan of the 'Magic Tree House' fiction books (a wee bit lame!), I have really, really enjoyed the nonfiction ones.
I'm a little bummed about our Bible stories. I took painstaking care in selecting the Bible story book that I have. I drooled over some beautifully illustrated books, but I actually sat down and read similar sections to see which was more well-written, and the book I chose won hands-down. It's action-packed and keeps moving, not getting weighted down with a lot of outdated speech or much philosophy. I think it's pretty well done. The kids didn't throw it out like they oh-so-sadly did my Celtic Read-Aloud Myths (I tried to start that at least two different times), but they do whine about it. I think part of the problem is the inconsistency with characters. It's always something new, someone new. Lots of unrelated stories.
I was really disappointed when, just a day or so ago, there was a reference to one of the Bible stories I've read them recently, and Fiona didn't remember it at all. She doesn't relate to those characters, I suppose--but how could you forget John the Baptist's beheading and the whole scene behind it? (Yes, it is supposed to be a Children's Bible Storybook!)
Our book consumption has been drastically reduced, however, as a family. I think the kids are reading more on their own now, but also I don't spend nearly the time in the car with them that I used to, when they had almost daily after-school activities. We went through a lot of stories that way, via audio CDs.
Fiona's growing out of her Rainbow Magic Fairies books and is now mostly absorbed with the American Girl stories--very wholesome and comforting for me :). Alex has been reading Artemis Fowl books, which I like but find a bit jaded and not really idealistic or wholesome. Entertaining and not too bad, though. He also reads the Alex Ryder books, which I haven't read, but I've seen them in the teen section at Barnes & Noble. I suppose I'm not going to micromanage him, so long as I don't see anything too alarming. I've made my suggestions for really classic, fabulous boy-oriented literature, but he's generally not terribly interested...sigh.
The second Red Pyramid book is out, and a new addition to the Percy Jackson world--but I haven't read either of these. Alex has read both. Those are both by Rick Riordan and help solidify Egyptian and Greek mythological associations, respectively. Not incredibly inspiring to me, except as a fantastic learning tool. They're pretty entertaining and action-packed, though, which is why Alex loves them.
Upcoming reading plans? Oops...I do have some books that I'd like to present to them, but I'm afraid of their reactions. I have a really pretty kid's anatomy & physiology book, and I will try it, but I won't be surprised if I don't really get a shot. You know, I have to tread carefully, because if I introduce too many not-so-great books, I'm afraid I'll negatively impact their love of reading. I don't want it to be a chore for them!
No comments:
Post a Comment