Friday, February 11, 2011

Parenting Objectives

Tonight concluded one of my 'goal objectives' related to parenting.  No, not a sticker and stamp one, but one nonetheless.  This one had to do with visiting high school open houses with Alex.  Yes, I do realize that he's young and that it may seem a bit like overkill, but he said something that validated the evening for me (despite tonight's failure...more to come).  I was explaining to him that I'd visited the schools already and had formed my opinions, but that I really thought it was important for him to see the schools in person, too, as I didn't want him to feel like I was making his decisions for him.  He actually said that he was glad he'd gone to the first two open houses, as he had felt a bit like I was deciding things for him, but now he feels like he's making his own decisions.  And, guess what?  They do correlate with mine!  But there is a world of difference between him choosing a program because he wants to versus because I want him to, so, even though I felt a bit like I was spinning my wheels (I've already seen it all), it was useful.  Well, sort of.
See, we only actually went to two of the three schools that he was interested in.  Tonight was supposed to be the third choice, but we had navigational issues and I ended up, frustrated with going in circles, scrapping it and going instead to a concert at Savannah Arts Academy.  Given that his opinions thus far have agreed with mine, I think he decided to take my word on school #3.
This was the first time I'd seen the SAA choral groups, and I was again floored.  There were two magnificent barber shop quartets and a lovely female group called the Skylarks.  One of the huge choral groups is going to sing at Carnegie hall soon, and I completely get it.  You know, I looked at getting tickets to see Celtic Women in Savannah, and the prices of the tickets dissuaded me.  These choral groups were incredible, and, dare I say, almost comparable in talent?  One of the barber shop quartets just returned from singing in Las Vegas!  Tickets for tonight were only $5 for adults and $3 for students.
Anyhow, SAA is single-handedly fulfilling my need for culture and arts here in Savannah.  I am increasingly thrilled with their productions.  Yes, I'll admit that on occasion I'll see something that does look 'high school' level.  Some of the art, a few of the dances...but the BEST art and the SAA Dance Company (the best dancers) are generally tight and utterly breathtaking.  I didn't hear anything in the choral performance that wasn't absolutely wonderful, either.  
Oops, sidelined on my tangent, hmm?    Let's see, I suppose I was just feeling as though I'd received a 'sticker' from Alex, when he validated that he felt as though all my efforts to figure out the high school thing with him have been valuable for him.  It helps a lot to hear that when I feel like I'm the only parent I know to care that much about all this prep--can you say OCD?  Oh, Michael is supportive of my efforts, but it's not really his thing.

Another conversation with Alex tonight dwells on my mind.  I remarked, with a sigh, that I often don't feel much like a grown-up.  I was referring to my chronic feeling of needing someone to instill some order in my life! 
Alex replied, "Well, sometimes I don't feel much like a kid."  A little sad, hmm?  But really, the poor chap is so responsible and takes all his schoolwork so seriously!  I've barely looked at his work since fourth grade, as he's so self-directed and capable. 

Alex and Fiona have that PianoFest this Saturday, and they have both been working so hard on their piano selections.  They can really play!  I love that it's become so enjoyable to hear them practice.

On Monday, though, Michael is taking Alex to his first boy scout meeting.  At least, that's the plan.  I know the scouts teach responsibility, but I hope they can have some fun and Alex can be a 'kid' a bit more.

Yes, Michael's been really hands-on with the kids, too.  He's attending the Daddy-Daughter dance with Fiona tomorrow, and he's planning on taking Alex to the Boy Scout camping trip next weekend.  I'm tickled pink about it all!

No comments: