Enlarging our world via the News has always had its drawbacks, and I've known folks who quit watching and reading the news because it was so heartbreaking and disturbing to see what was going on in our world. I've had that feeling myself a bit, and I go through a lot of news-free phases. (Sidenote: So, if something huge is going on in my local vicinity that I should know about, be aware that I am possibly clueless!).
Of course, that's random news and events, and I've often thought that I'd really not know about heinous murders in Texas or floods in Louisiana or whatever. Why worry about something completely unrelated to me, that I have no power to help?
I'm finding that Facebook is having a somewhat similar impact these days, and I am trying to formulate my reaction... On one hand, I am so grateful to know when things are tough for old friends. It's always bothered me to know that big life events are occurring for old friends that I'm out of touch with, and I have no clue. So, I'm glad to hear even of sad events, for I do want to know.
Sometimes, however, I find that the posts are incredibly sad, and there's often a touch of that 'helpless' feeling that goes with the regular newscast. An old friend who lives far away and hasn't heard from you in ages, or perhaps a local friend who you very much like but is already swamped with family and friends and you were never really very close--these folks elicit my care and concern, but I feel out of place and inappropriate in doing much more than saying a few words of respect and support.
I suppose my intent is simply to recognize the 'other' side of keeping in touch. You end up catching a lot of meaningful, personal sad news that you otherwise would have no clue about, and it can be a little frustrating, since, if you wouldn't have known to begin with, it can feel entirely inappropriate to make a to-do about it for friends who aren't currently very close.
I am glad to be abreast of life events for my old friends, but I find myself saddened and feeling a bit helpless quite often. I suppose that we should just be glad that we can say our words of condolences, and perhaps at a later point we will hear more joyous tidings. Like the world news, it's good to keep updated, but there's an inherent issue with getting a lot more upsetting information than you would otherwise receive.
Ah, what's that I hear? Balance, again! Yep, my perpetual issue... So, in this case, stay informed, but keep your perspective and don't get bogged down with all the cares of the world or even my own Facebook world.
No comments:
Post a Comment