Wow...I've known for years that WebMD has many biased articles that I strongly, strongly disagree with. For example, they'll report something like, "Selenium no good for heart attacks" and have some ridiculous study about it, when noone even uses it for heart attacks!
In just the last couple of minutes, I've watched a WebMD slideshow on how bust size matters, curious to see what objective scientific findings there were--only to hear an infomercial on breast enhancement surgeries, couched in 'this is what Americans want' and absolutely no objective science. Then, I immediately went to an article on lifestyle changes helping obese folks to lose weight--actually a subtle ad for weight loss surgery, saying, "sometimes diet and exercise actually do help" and the surgery can be avoided! Unbelievable!
They routinely bash natural therapies so flagrantly that I only trust the pro-natural therapy articles, knowing there's no way they'd publish them if they weren't true and pretty significant (though often they try to slyly argue against them in the article). And, realist that I am, I know they publish these articles entirely so they won't be accused of bias. Sometimes those articles are really great, though.
I bet you can guess who the sponsors of WebMD are! Too bad...I'm just blustering, as I like to peruse WebMD for the occasional useful new tidbit of health information. I'm just glad I'm a skeptic...
No comments:
Post a Comment