Saturday, October 16, 2010

Publishing Blues & Jazzy '20s

Wow, the whole process of trying to ready a book for publication is a drag. It's tedious and amorphic and discouraging.
Well, that's how I feel at this moment, anyhow.
A couple of days ago I was utterly thrilled to be making progress, as I had a breakthrough with a cover idea, which I'm still inclined to go with, though I'm going to play with fonts a bit and tweak a little more.
I'm also fairly jonesing to start book #2. I've been a bit nervous about dealing with the 1920's, but I have a fabulous book, Fashions of the Roaring '20s, which has inspired me greatly. I'm infatuated with it all--the clothes, the shoes, even the hair. It may be the first time in my life I've ever even momentarily wanted short hair!
I really want to pull together Silk first, though. Yep, that's the name. Oh, and my pen name is Sophia Alexander. It can feel so personal to write a novel at first, but now that I look back on it, I can't clearly see anything but a story there. No single character represents any single person I know. Lots of tidbits from lots of people. Even the heroine isn't me. Or she is, but so are many of the other characters. One crazy old woman is part Yoda, I think--at least, afterwards that's the correlation I make. So, it's just a story, and, while I put lots of feeling and emotion into it, that's all it is, and I don't mind sharing. Don't read too much into it. I think certain elements of life are universal, so hopefully you and everyone else will associate with the story and feel moved by it. That's the point, like all art.
Yes, I'm still going with the pen name, though. I can't imagine how annoying it must be for famous authors to not be able to give their name or use their credit card without having everyone react. And the poor families... So, assuming all will go well and my stories will top the bestseller lists, I won't be able to change my name then, so here's for optimistic, self-manifesting planning! (See, even I can be an optimist at times!)

No comments: