Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Rowling Rules!

Wow...I just read 'A Single Mother's Manifesto' by JK Rowling, as submitted to The Times (a British paper?). It's a short political piece arguing against new conservative, pro-family measures being implemented by the Tory party. That an author could give me a thrill and inspire me with just her political writing causes me to again bow to her greatness. Her political viewpoint is not even one I would necessarily have cared about before reading it, so it's not that she was simply saying what I wanted to hear. It's how she says it.
Rowling is a brilliant author. I was actually looking to see if any more books are out by her and saw this link. I heard that she's writing books for adults now.
Oh, yeah, I don't even know what that means anymore. It really is irksome that 'adult' has such awful connotations. I struggle to find the words to describe certain materials and end up with 'for grown-ups' (still questionable). 'Mature' and basically any other reference to books written for those in the age of majority have that inference. Euphemisms have taken over so that we can't even communicate anymore, for I don't know if Rowling is writing smut or not! Actually, I didn't find the pen name that she is supposedly writing under now, so she may not be writing the 'books for adults' that I heard about anyway.

No comments: