I realized just a bit ago that it seems quite a while since I posted any family updates on here. The 'what's up with our little family', so to speak! I suppose that's because, thank goodness, the kids have been pretty smooth sailing.
Alex has a potato soup day tomorrow at school. I know there's a theme--something to do with the Irish potato famine in the mid 1800's. Parents are invited, so it'll be a third nightshade day in a row for me! Believe it or not, I believe I'm feeling warning flares in my finger joints, but it might just be my imagination. Tomorrow might clarify that.
Ms. Carol had a friendship stew a few weeks ago, and Alex wanted me to come to that, too. It's so sweet...the kids each brought ingredients and put it together. Anyhow, it's a sort of community thing that gives me the warm fuzzies. Alex gets quite enthusiastic about it, which I just love. That's the crux of the whole Montessori concept, you know--to involve the kids and keep them enthusiastic.
Alex is having a pretty laid-back year. His knee gave him some problems, and it's still not great, so he's been out of taekwondo for quite a while. His piano skills continue to improve, and we're very thrilled with his progress, though we don't focus on it nearly like we could!
Alex has been reading a bit more lately. He just finished the newest book by the Percy Jackson author. It's also about Greek mythology. He seems to love mythology, even suggesting once that he might become a professor teaching mythology!
We're to go to a High School Day tomorrow evening at Ellis to try to figure out where he wants to go. Yes, it's becoming a bit like college. He's supposed to figure out now where he wants to go so he can get those ducks in a row, though he won't officially apply for two years, I believe!
Gosh, even though he seems very down-to-earth, Alex definitely is a producer of pipe dreams. I only say that because he has a hundred new ideas every day and is completely enthusiastic about them all. I'm sure there's a profession for the idea-generators, isn't there? We couldn't possibly follow through on all those ideas! At breakfast, I'm generally encouraging him to focus on eating, as he'll let the food get cold while he glibly prattles off yet another new set of ideas. He's got a buoyant, optimistic little spirit when it comes to those!
Hmm, speaking of spirits, I believe I've had a bit of a revelation about my children. Alex, like me, can become very intense. High highs, low lows, vitriolic anger! Sweet as pie most of the time :). He's earnest and sincere and not necessarily very socially adept.
Fiona, however, is my more gentle child. She was born with a sense of humor, and she loves to make everyone laugh and smile. She is far more socially adept, and her ideals fall after her love for her friends.
When I recently made up with my best friend, I was so relieved, and Fiona was very happy for me. She asked what had gone wrong, and I answered a bit generally, but she went with it and tried to give me some advice, "Mom, here's what I do. When someone says something I don't agree with, I just say, 'okay, you're right. ' That makes them happy and then we can still be friends."
Alex nearly choked with outrage at her take on things, but I suggested that perhaps we should just hold our tongues, as Fiona has by far the best track record for keeping friendships and getting along with others! Yes, I was a bit concerned by what she said, but I actually think it doesn't mean she would go along with whatever someone else wants to do. She would just not make an issue of it unless she had to. Fiona is very adept at getting her way and working the system!
I've realized that Fiona is an artistic little soul, too. She recently has shown a real interest in poetry, which they're studying in school a bit. She'll memorize verse and repeat it to me, whereas I've never much had an interest in it. She loves her music and art, too, of course.
Fiona always felt a bit troubled by the fact that she wasn't much for breaking boards and showing intensity in taekwondo. She could kick high, which looked nice, but she just didn't have the heart for breaking boards and kicking bags. I've honestly only just realized that she's a poetic, sweet little soul who isn't really meant for that sort of thing. She's meant to create and make things beautiful. Of course, I'd love it if she could defend herself, too, but she's a gentle creature through and through. Oh, yes, she does occasionally whack her brother, though. Not sure how that plays into it!
Michael's a pretty gentle character himself, honestly. Neither of the two of them enjoys violence on television at all, whereas Alex and I seem a bit more tolerant of it.
Michael just brought home another rescue bunny, a soft gray little rabbit named Be-Bop. She's precious. I wasn't thrilled about it, due to those feelings of responsibility and 'How are we ever supposed to have a garden?' Oh well, the garden has only ever been theoretical--maybe because of the animals, who are always in it, or maybe not.
Michael is back to focusing more on his practice again. We are excited about bringing in a new acupuncturist to work with him, and we're hoping things pick up a bit soon. That would be a very good thing to happen in the near future!
Alex has a potato soup day tomorrow at school. I know there's a theme--something to do with the Irish potato famine in the mid 1800's. Parents are invited, so it'll be a third nightshade day in a row for me! Believe it or not, I believe I'm feeling warning flares in my finger joints, but it might just be my imagination. Tomorrow might clarify that.
Ms. Carol had a friendship stew a few weeks ago, and Alex wanted me to come to that, too. It's so sweet...the kids each brought ingredients and put it together. Anyhow, it's a sort of community thing that gives me the warm fuzzies. Alex gets quite enthusiastic about it, which I just love. That's the crux of the whole Montessori concept, you know--to involve the kids and keep them enthusiastic.
Alex is having a pretty laid-back year. His knee gave him some problems, and it's still not great, so he's been out of taekwondo for quite a while. His piano skills continue to improve, and we're very thrilled with his progress, though we don't focus on it nearly like we could!
Alex has been reading a bit more lately. He just finished the newest book by the Percy Jackson author. It's also about Greek mythology. He seems to love mythology, even suggesting once that he might become a professor teaching mythology!
We're to go to a High School Day tomorrow evening at Ellis to try to figure out where he wants to go. Yes, it's becoming a bit like college. He's supposed to figure out now where he wants to go so he can get those ducks in a row, though he won't officially apply for two years, I believe!
Gosh, even though he seems very down-to-earth, Alex definitely is a producer of pipe dreams. I only say that because he has a hundred new ideas every day and is completely enthusiastic about them all. I'm sure there's a profession for the idea-generators, isn't there? We couldn't possibly follow through on all those ideas! At breakfast, I'm generally encouraging him to focus on eating, as he'll let the food get cold while he glibly prattles off yet another new set of ideas. He's got a buoyant, optimistic little spirit when it comes to those!
Hmm, speaking of spirits, I believe I've had a bit of a revelation about my children. Alex, like me, can become very intense. High highs, low lows, vitriolic anger! Sweet as pie most of the time :). He's earnest and sincere and not necessarily very socially adept.
Fiona, however, is my more gentle child. She was born with a sense of humor, and she loves to make everyone laugh and smile. She is far more socially adept, and her ideals fall after her love for her friends.
When I recently made up with my best friend, I was so relieved, and Fiona was very happy for me. She asked what had gone wrong, and I answered a bit generally, but she went with it and tried to give me some advice, "Mom, here's what I do. When someone says something I don't agree with, I just say, 'okay, you're right. ' That makes them happy and then we can still be friends."
Alex nearly choked with outrage at her take on things, but I suggested that perhaps we should just hold our tongues, as Fiona has by far the best track record for keeping friendships and getting along with others! Yes, I was a bit concerned by what she said, but I actually think it doesn't mean she would go along with whatever someone else wants to do. She would just not make an issue of it unless she had to. Fiona is very adept at getting her way and working the system!
I've realized that Fiona is an artistic little soul, too. She recently has shown a real interest in poetry, which they're studying in school a bit. She'll memorize verse and repeat it to me, whereas I've never much had an interest in it. She loves her music and art, too, of course.
Fiona always felt a bit troubled by the fact that she wasn't much for breaking boards and showing intensity in taekwondo. She could kick high, which looked nice, but she just didn't have the heart for breaking boards and kicking bags. I've honestly only just realized that she's a poetic, sweet little soul who isn't really meant for that sort of thing. She's meant to create and make things beautiful. Of course, I'd love it if she could defend herself, too, but she's a gentle creature through and through. Oh, yes, she does occasionally whack her brother, though. Not sure how that plays into it!
Michael's a pretty gentle character himself, honestly. Neither of the two of them enjoys violence on television at all, whereas Alex and I seem a bit more tolerant of it.
Michael just brought home another rescue bunny, a soft gray little rabbit named Be-Bop. She's precious. I wasn't thrilled about it, due to those feelings of responsibility and 'How are we ever supposed to have a garden?' Oh well, the garden has only ever been theoretical--maybe because of the animals, who are always in it, or maybe not.
Michael is back to focusing more on his practice again. We are excited about bringing in a new acupuncturist to work with him, and we're hoping things pick up a bit soon. That would be a very good thing to happen in the near future!
No comments:
Post a Comment