Saturday, March 26, 2011

Major Mojo

I went to see a psychic yesterday.  It was an intense experience, and I was a bit too overwhelmed to write my BFF about it yesterday, but I sat down this morning to type her, and she'd penned me a two-line e-mail last night that she couldn't write but was eager to tell me about her visit with a psychic yesterday!  OMG!  Isn't that wild?  Of course, hers was a pet psychic, but still!  Now, I haven't been to see a psychic except one other time (a palm-reader) in all my years in Savannah, and that lady was laughable with no apparent abilities--it was the standard, vague, stupid stuff.  Kinda fun only for the experience of laughing at the ridiculously unsatisfactory reading (she got me all wrong, too). 
Michael had bought me a gift certificate for Valentine's or something, but I'd lost the little receipt (she hadn't actually given him a real gift certificate). Anyhow, I was in town for Alex's lunch-with-me, then I went to see Nana at the hospital, then went to a real lunch with Michael. While we were out, he pointed out the psychic's storefront when I asked. I wasn't really planning on seeing her, but I swung by about 2:45 just to see if I could set up my appointment. Instead, she immediately said, "Yes, I remember, come on in here." Before I could blink, she was shuffling the Tarot cards.
She was either incredibly intuitive and had great deductive skills, OR she really is psychic. Well, I believe in psychic phenomenon actually, so I don't discount that there is like a degree of it going on anyway.
So, she's shuffling the cards and asks my name and birthdate and profession. I explain about being a writer, as yet unpublished. She's still shuffling and gets a confused look and says, "But you don't use this name with your writing. What name do you use for that?" When I gave her my pen name, she looked relieved and nodded satisfactorily, "That's it." Wow!
So, the first thing she tells me, upon reviewing the card layout, is that I'm a very kind, giving person. This is the card to my lower right.  So far, pretty standard.  Then, she looks at the card to my lower left, the 'hermit' card, and goes on and on about how I feel an intense need to be alone for my work, that it's the only way I can feel focused, that it's the only way I can work.  Now, this is me exactly!  Then, she scans the cards and says that my main troubling emotion is one of guilt. She relates this back to my work, and says PRECISELY what I'm always complaining about. She says, "You feel guilty when you're working that you're not spending time with your family. When you're with them, you feel guilty that you're not working. It goes on and on, back and forth."  It was like she was quoting me.
She looks and explains that I've sacrificed my work for my family, that it's not progressed as it would if I hadn't done this. I'm just starting to feel slightly defensive when she says, "But this isn't a bad thing. I see this is important."  Again, perhaps just very perceptive to my facial expressions?
She continues to scan the cards, and she says that my second emotion is one of confusion. She goes on for a bit--I don't remember exactly what all she says--but she tells me that my emotional problems are mostly related to issues in a past life. Now, mind you, she did ask vaguely what my books were about, so she knew they had a historical bent--what author with that mindset, seeing a psychic, wouldn't just DIE to hear that? However, it gave me a thrill anyhow, especially as she said that these past lives played a big role in my work.

Much of what she said could have been guess-work. Problems with guilt and confusion are probably pretty damn common with 'working' moms, especially, right?

She gave little more, once I started talking. She knew she had me hooked!  Instead, I got the sales pitch. While OTHER folks can often come in and immediately get a past life regression, I am not able to handle it yet. She said that I needed first to ground my spirit. She says that if I were to go back now, I'd experience the regression first-hand, and it could be too traumatic. HEALTHY folks should be able to view it as an observer, but I wouldn't. So, I need at least two energetic meditation/Reiki sessions ($100 each) with her--at least. Then, she said that she thought I'd need at least THREE past life regressions ($200 each) to get to the core of my issues and address/identify/'correct' these problems in my life.

I'm a bit torn about it. I'm pretty frugal, and she wasn't 100% with everything--I don't believe. However, you know, sometimes we don't see ourselves perfectly. A few of the things she said didn't resonate exactly, but I'm not convinced they were completely wrong.

You know, it was pretty intense. Even if she is more intuitive and charlatan than psychic, it seems like the regressions could be therapeutic for me. I'm fairly pessimistic about unproven therapies with me, though... but we could see (quite a price for curiosity, hmm?).

One thing that made me quite uncomfortable was that, after she emphasized the 'confidentiality' of our sessions, she told me that she needed the names, birthdates and addresses of anyone I had issues with or needed to discuss. I don't think this is unusual. I believe the telephone psychics generally ask that information right off, that they use it to guide them--but it makes me squirm terribly. Can you imagine the future headline, "Sophia Alexander's Private Psychic Tells All--Exclusive!" Ack! That's scaring me off a bit.

You know, I'm pretty sure she'd forgotten my own personal info by that point, as she included me in the mix. She seemed very sincere, pretty professional, but still!

I do have a plan. My sis is going to come and get a tarot reading of her own (my treat), without mentioning me. If this lady can peg my sister, I'll know she truly does have some major mojo. Of course, she could have major mojo and still tell-all, right?  Oh well, we'll see...so far, I'm way impressed with her.  And the fact that my BFF simultaneously went to a psychic, on the same day, really hints at the validity of the extrasensory powers of our minds, right?  Yeah, I consider myself pretty darn in-tune to psychic stuff.  Hook me up with an even more psychic therapist, and this could be a wild ride!  Funny that her intent is to 'ground' me, though, isn't it?  I'm not sure I want to be grounded.  Maybe I should write book #3 first!

No comments: