Michael gave me a precious gift tonight--a copy of Willful Gaynell by Laura Jean Libbey, c 1890. I mention this book in my novels, as my character/relative Gaynelle was said to be named after a character in a Victorian novel. I found this popular dime novel in my research and guessed/hoped it was the link. I looked to buy the book online, but it wasn't to be found. Michael, however, made some inquiries with antique book dealers and procured two separate copies for me. Not expensive gifts whatsoever, but completely precious to me for sentimental reasons!
In the volume that I received today, a note had been penned inside the cover:
A Merry Xmas & a Happy New Year to Violet
From Lena
Dec. 25-1911
Chicago
Ill.
Those words were written just barely shy of 100 years ago! And the book is 121 years old. Is that not amazingly cool? And Violet and Lena are such PERFECT, fun names. Michael said, instantly, "I think you have your next two character names!" We'll see, though. Fiona already adopted Violet for her book months ago, so I may not get dibs on that name.
I've read only the first chapter, but Libbey is definitely a woman of high action. We've had a 'stinging blow' efficiently delivered from our heroine, a tirade by her, a romantic thrill between her and the dashing Percy Granville, and a life-threatening flood already! How is Libbey going to keep up this pace for the next 239 pages?
No comments:
Post a Comment