Friday, March 25, 2011

A Busy, Busy Spring of Repairs, Remodeling, and Writing and The Universe's Humor

Just gotta love how life keeps on movin', right?  There's always so much to do!  My plans for this spring were already pretty set with editing and my third novel.  I thought I was taking on a lot with my own skinnyfying calorie counts and all, too--and I'd planned to order some new chicks as well (see how all this is self-imposed?).  However, I don't live in my own little bubble--not entirely--and I do have to work with the world.  I mean, that's my choice, right?  So, despite all my single-minded plans, the world and my friends and family have their own (often wonderful) ideas.
Therefore, life is BUSY as always.  I do want to get back to the calorie counting soon, as those funerals met the end of my calorie-counting time for a while (always hardest to initiate things, so that was a big set-back).  I've honestly been too afraid to get on a scale for a couple of weeks!  I know I've let things slide, and, despite the weight I've put on over the years, I've never completely let myself go (just saying that 'letting things slide a little' can easily equate to packing on the pounds with me). 
My BFF sent me a wonderful, motivating box of clothes, though.  They're perfect for me now, so I can't afford to gain any weight.
This is the quietest week I've had for a while.  Our friends were here last week, which was lovely but, again, another quirk in the plans.  It worked out well, though, as it gave me some motivation for cleaning my house beforehand, which I always enjoy more after the cleaning!
I'm finally back into editing a bit this week, thank goodness.  Yesterday, though, I had our new stove delivery to deal with.  Today, Alex has a 'lunch with me' event at school for parents to come in and simply dine with their kids.  I wasn't actually planning on going, but when he asked if I was coming, I asked if he really wanted me to.  He gave a nonchalant shrug, and I said I'd just skip it (lame-o mom!), that I'd only gone to Fiona's similar event because she'd really wanted me to go--but that I'd still attend his if he felt strongly about it.  Alex maintained his cool demeanor, but he said  a bit impatiently, "Mom, I wouldn't have told you about it if I didn't want you to come."  Oh!  Right!  So, umm, yeah, I'm going to have lunch with him today.
This weekend involves painting the new work space for Michael.  Yes, among all the other stuff going on, he's rented a new space.  We're excited about it, but of course there's a good bit of prep work.  This time, we've got to have a temporary wall installed, too.  So, we're commencing trying to get that all fixed up (it's a mess right now and he needs to be there next Friday with patients).
As soon as that is up and running, we'll be off in a couple of weeks to work on my Granny and Granddaddy's house that the kids have so recently inherited.  Oh, I didn't tell you the funniest thing.  When the kids found out that they were getting their own house, Fiona asked nervously, "Will you and Daddy spend the first few nights there with us?"  Isn't that too sweet?
For now, though, my aunts and folks are dealing with estate sale stuff and all, and I'm pretty alright with waiting on that.
You know, I think the universe plays a good-natured joke on us.  I mean, let me say first that the universe has been very kind to me and I'm extremely appreciative of all my blessings.  However, it seems like things I dream of have this delayed gratification cycle.
For example, I dreamt of having my grandparents' home when I was young.  I adored it.  For many years, I thought I'd like to one day buy one of the less expensive homes further in the country to fix up.  Finally, in the past five years or so, I decided that I was glad we only had one home to maintain, that our time-share is perfect in not having to deal with maintenance, repairs, and all.  Now, I get the house!  Tons of work, but a huge blessing and I am truly thrilled, but daunted, too!
I have many other examples of this phenomenon.  Let's see...Alex is one.  I was a baby-obsessed teenager and young woman.  I nearly ached with ecstatic anticipation of the day that I would have a baby.  However, perhaps a year or two before he was conceived, I realized how many plans I had, how much I wanted to do, how full my life already was.  I began to contemplate the idea of not having children and thought that sounded much more practical.  However, when our 'surprise' came along, I was thrilled, of course.  I loved being pregnant with him...and he was perfect (aside from the colic and all).  Again, though, much work!
I'm thinking of a few other examples, but I won't bore you with all the details.  Perhaps the universe decides that those gifts will not meet up to our expectations if we receive them when we most want them (maybe before we can handle them?).  I don't know.  But it's a strange sort of irony.  I often think, now?  Why now?  Maybe things just get in queue when we first want them, and, by the time I get them, my fickle nature has changed?  I don't regret them, though, of course. 
I received my piano after my passion for it had dwindled a bit, but it's been a real blessing to have around, and the kids are learning on it and all.  I love it.  I longed for one so much earlier in life, though, and had rather gotten past the most intense desire for one. (Ah, I'm boring you with more of those stories, my apologies!)  Just wondering about the universe's design, I suppose.
Oh, I suppose I have NOTHING to complain about.  How many folks throw everything they have into a cause and never see it realized in their lifetimes?  So many die a bitter death...Susan B. Anthony championed the suffragette movement, never seeing the fruits of her labor.  How many authors and artists are unrecognized in their own lifetimes?
Oh well, I'm a lucky duck...  Things are good.  Sure, I may need to take a second look at my personal plans, in order to accomodate real life, but I heard a quote once, something like, "Life is what happens between your plans."  And sometimes, that life bit can make our plans even better, right?

No comments: