Well, school is finally in swing. The kids seem to love their teachers, have friends in their classrooms, and otherwise be adjusting well. I believe this is finally their first full week of school! Almost not, as they have sniffly noses...
That brings up the insane truancy policy of the school district (and maybe state?). No more than 5 days of unexcused absences are allowed. Meanwhile, they complain of kids coming to school sick. Then, I read an article in the paper this week (okay, NY Times, not the Savannah paper!) by a medical doctor who is discouraging giving children sick notes so they can miss school, as they're still not allowed to miss (and he didn't think the MDs should cater to folks who weren't blatantly, extremely ill). So, anyhow, my kids seem mostly fine, but they're blowing their noses and dealing with congestion--as are many of the kids in their classes, they say. I would keep them home, but they already missed 2 days for a trip, and I've got to be concerned about something major later in the year...
I don't think these administrators use a bit of common sense. Okay, yes, I get something like 20 or 30 days being unacceptable, but five is fairly incredible to me. I think perhaps it's ten with doctor's excuses, but, no, I'm not going to go to the doctor for a sniffly nose. That's ridiculous.
Yes, I'm protesting something more 'theoretical' than real. In truth, what happens (and I know this because we've missed in excess more than one year) is that a waiver has to be approved in the upper eschelons of the school--at least the principal, but maybe the board, too. They've never given us any hassle.
Anyhow, I didn't intend to write about that! It's just one of those chronic worrisome bits...and you're dealing with the same institution telling you opposite things...don't send your kids to school sick, but you'll be in huge trouble (your kid will have to repeat a grade and we may throw you in jail!) if they miss more than five days. And, to me, five days is almost nothing. I mean, how do I know they won't come done with some stomach bug in the last week of school? It's not like I can let them stay home except for the direst situations...
I do, of course, if it's extreme. Fever, vomiting, etc.... and I even keep them home at least a day after those things, but it's always a huge stressor, given the pressure of the truancy policy.
Whoever created that dictatorial truancy policy has an utter disregard for the comfort and well-being of the children and families the policy effects. Hmm...sounds like another political letter!
Oh, speaking of which, I am delighted to report that the buses have been delivering the kids home at a perfectly respectable time. They get here just over an hour after school lets out, so I'm not claiming speedy-quick, superhuman endeavors, just reasonable.
I can't say that it was definitely related, but another mother from a magnet school and I gave the school board the most hassle last year (and I did see it as primarily something I was doing for all the children, as I actually picked up my children most days!). The children were getting home over two hours past the school release time! That's insane! They weren't even being picked up for over an hour (it was planned that way!), and the children had to sit silently, in rows, on the cold, hard cafeteria floor while they waited for the buses. Unbelievable...
Of course, I did get on the local TV news and wrote letters to a lot of people, so they couldn't directly retaliate, but the board actually tried to take away the busing service for all the magnet schools for this school year! I can't say that it was unquestioningly because of me and the other magnet school mom, but I have my suspicions. I kept out of that one, though, and apparently it was an extremely unpopular plan, as we still have busing, and it's working!
At least, it's working for me. I'm going to stick my head in a hole and not play detective. I fear some other children are having to sit around waiting while my children get the primo service, which was not at all what I wanted, but maybe they are just doing better all-around this year, I hope. I have nothing to complain about with the bus service thus far and therefore wouldn't have a legitimate gripe, even if other kids were being mistreated. Somehow, folks only want to listen if you are being directly impacted!
So, let's see if I can put a meaningful spin on this! I suppose it would be that this is an example of a case where I became politically active and met with positive results. I can't know for sure that the results are as widespread as I hope, and I haven't received any letters of gratitude from anyone, and I did go through that disbelief when the board tried to pull the magnet bussing... but, from what I can see, my efforts seem to have effected some positive change.
If you're passionate about a political cause, then it may be worth it to pursue it, and persistently. There's no point in doing it half-ass, though of course at some point you may realize you've done all that you're willing to do. If you still believe in your cause, though, persistence seems to be critical.
To conclude, in the case of the truancy policy, I am so NOT taking that on. I'm just going to whine a bit in my blog to get it off my chest. Thanks for listening, and have a great day!
1 comment:
I agree completely with your sentiments and want to add another: the Public Health perspective. Sending kids to school sick causes other kids and teachers to get sick. But, like you say, if the alternative is going to jail, a parent is going to send their kids to school sick everytime!
Post a Comment