Saturday, September 4, 2010

Expanding the Mind

"One's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions." - O.W. Holmes

"I am a part of all that I have met. I can no more remember the books I have read than the meals I have eaten, yet each is a part of all that I am." -unknown

The importance of education has been a topic on my mind lately. Not just formal education, but any activity which expands the mind.
While intelligence is to some degree genetic and innate, I am increasingly convinced of the importance of the mind-broadening aspects of education--the Nurture portion of the Nature vs Nurture equation.
Siddartha Guatama was raised in a privileged, educated state before becoming The Buddha. Jesus spent much time with the temple scholars when he was young. Ghandi was a well-educated lawyer. Nearly every great person that comes to mind had access to much learning and education. Even Moses, who freed his people from their condition of slavery, was brought up with a privileged education as a prince in the pharoah's home.
I sometimes question the importance of education. I question the value of reading books, especially when I can completely forget their contents on a conscious level. One of the most comforting things I've ever heard is the above quote about the books becoming a part of us. Since reading that quote, it has been on my mind, and I've noticed repeated examples of how the books have been absorbed into our minds and characters.
Fiona has been a key example for me. Of course, when she was much younger, she had a tendency to include long words that I knew were from the books she was listening to. That is a fairly simple, but great, example of how she absorbed the content without thinking about it too much. Nowadays, I don't tend to notice her language skills so much as her social dynamics. She spent time this summer listening to a series of books about a girl who moved and started at a new school. This past week, Fiona befriended a new girl at school with whom she hopes to be best friends at school. That's just one example, but the kids definitely seem to be more in tune with certain ideas that they have absorbed from the books that we listen to.
When Alex was younger, he seemed primarily interested in non-fiction. I was amazed at his interest in such 'dry' literature, but I thought it was great. In discussing it with someone (see...I forget who, but I've absorbed the idea!), the other person explained that the importance of fiction has to do with learning empathy for others. I've pondered this for awhile, and I have given Alex quite the exposure to fiction he would have never have read on his own, and I have to say that he is far more 'normal' and 'empathetic' now than he was when he was younger and more basic 'Nature'. I mean, he was always sweet, but he seemed inclined towards facts and away from people. He seems to understand people more and be less hypersensitive now. I've decided that whoever it was who told me that was right. He has gained empathy from the fiction he's read and listened to.
So, what is the value of fiction? Greater empathy, expanded vocabulary, and expansion of or exposure to ideas and concepts seem to be the answer.
My kids are not the only ones. There are a couple of adults in my association who have had delayed higher educations and have shown a new-found interest in reading. These folks, who I had already deemed a bit more 'limited' in their scope of ideas and opinions, have surprised me with their discussions and continually expanding vocabulary.
I suppose the point here is that I have been inclined to attribute much to 'Nature'. Genetics and perhaps mysterious astrological influences have received much credit from me, and I'm not disputing their importance here. However, observing the distinctive and remarkable influence of education on the folks around me has impressed me, especially in adults. We all have plastic minds. We can expand our concepts and continue to grow, even as we age.
When I say 'education', I refer primarily to what has engaged us. School that we regarded as boring, lists of facts that we didn't process and simply spit out for tests may have had some influence, but I'm referring to what has engaged and occupied our minds. The adults (especially) who have impressed me with their newfound philosophies and theories are folks who are engaged and interested in their readings and studies.
Fiona said yesterday, "I don't want to go to college!", seemingly out of the blue. I felt a momentary slight twinge of panic, though that's eons away, especially as I've been pondering the powerful effects of books and education on those around me. What I quickly realized, though, is that the important thing is that she continues to expand her mind. What if she chooses to travel extensively after high school? There are numerous occupations that are both educational and valuable. She's greatly interested in art, and she could pursue a very mind-broadening career in an artistic field.
Again, most Great people generally have had substantial educations. Most of our leaders and artists and thinkers have been well-educated, and, while Nature is important and we need a certain amount of aptitude, we have the choice to Nurture ourselves and our minds by continuing to expand them through books and further education that engages us. Physics, history, anthropology, and philosophy come to mind as areas that can particularly help to expand our minds, but, as discussed above, even fictional novels can help to develop our empathy and introduce new ideas.
There's so much more to discuss about this. The values and pitfalls of different subjects seem a vast and fascinating topic. For example, psychology can be helpful, of course, to identify and recognize tendencies, but there is a love of labeling and stereotyping that can be very damaging. Learning a bit about psychology, though, can be very helpful in understanding both ourselves and others.
Aside from academic studies, the choice of fiction also has a huge effect, as obviously a well-selected variety of quality books would be optimal.
Okay, then. I encourage everyone to continue to expand your minds. Read to and educate both yourselves and your families. We all have potential that we have not discovered or developed. It's never too late to grow our minds--and it's never too late for even stubborn, old folks! Best wishes for many mind-expanding adventures!

1 comment:

MIchael A. Ard-Kelly, L.Ac. said...

Is this subtle guerilla marketing? If you convince more people to read, then more people will read your book! Clever...