Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Fiona's gift of perspective

My little girl has dazzled me. She is only eight, but perhaps that's old enough for a lot!
Okay, so yesterday I 'wished' that my kids were more interested in creative writing, as they showed no interest in the writing contests and such at the library.
Last night, Fiona had to work on her summer reading project, which is due on Friday. One option was to write diary entries from a character in the book. Fiona misunderstood and wrote entries from different people, which I thought was even better, as it showed an understanding of different perspectives.
I asked her if I could share her second 'diary entry'. Here it is, with a few spelling and punctuation corrections only:

Dear Diary,
Hello, my name is Mr. Scary. My room is #1. One of my students has just got a loose tooth...
"Mr. Scary! Mr. Scary!"
"Junie B...I am doing my diary!"
"Oh, sorry!"
...as I was saying...that student has a loose tooth and thinks she is winning something...
"Mr. Scary! Mr. Scary!"
Ooh...Got to go, bye!

Anyhow, obviously this is not yet the work of a master, but I was blown away by her originality in throwing in the interruptions (her previous entry did not) and showing a certain ability to see things from the teacher's perspective. Oh, the teacher's name actually is Mr. Scary in the book!

So, maybe it's just ordinary maternal pride, but here you have it! I anticipate great things from my little girl! (And, of course, my completely amazing boy, too, but this was about her 'diary entry'!)

1 comment:

Michael A. Ard-Kelly, L.Ac. said...

She is so cool. Much like her mother!