Monday, September 13, 2010

Political Corruption

Odd subject for me... though I don't feel like I can go into too many specifics. I have two folks who are quite close to me who have related recent, terribly blatant cases of political/police corruption in Georgia and South Carolina. Meanwhile, I just watched a true-story movie of long-ago police brutality and corruption in Los Angeles (Changeling), and Michael related an awful situation he had just heard on NPR about NYC police corruption.
Hearing direct accounts of the corruption, especially involving people I know, really does affect me. One such person has become involved in rather an activist role and has received a threat. Given that she has children and is acting on behalf of someone else (so can stay out of it), I rather wish she would just drop it for her own sake--and that of her children.
Practicality vs idealism... Of course, on a theoretical level, I sort of wish everyone would be an idealistic advocate for the victims of this system. I attend a church where most folks highly believe in our duty to protest human rights violations. I wholeheartedly applaud their attempts to help others in this way.
However, even in the very best case scenarios, the corruption is almost never resolved by simply pointing it out to the offenders. A struggle is involved, and the corrupted folks can turn on those who are defying them. Life is hard enough, and I hate to see folks I care about be sucked into that maelstrom.
Some folks are truly selfless heroes, though, who believe in and are willing to fight for true justice and the rights of the helpless.
Do I have a point? I suppose it's to say, "think first about what you're getting into". Then, if you are willing to take the risks and be the likely unappreciated hero, plan carefully to protect yourself and your loved ones (e.g., avoid direct, private confrontations; enlist media exposure of the whole situation especially if they can pinpoint you). Godspeed!

No comments: