Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Living Simply

I suppose it's simply our turn... I've often, in the past few years, shaken my head at all the problems others have had with their homes and vehicles, and I felt we were quite lucky in not having to deal with so much. I gave Michael a lot of credit, too, for maintenance, but I suppose stuff will still happen!
After 4 different AC repairs (Michael's work, too!), computer breakdown, Palm pilot problems, etc, our fabulous computerized clothes washer broke down again. This time, it ended up making more sense to replace it than to repair it, price-wise. So, we did so. The new machine is technically just as good and a slightly larger capacity. It's an energy-efficient, water-efficient front-loading model, just like the old one, but it's not quite so pretty and doesn't have the computer screen and all. However, this new one even has a 'sanitation' cycle that the older one doesn't.
Again, there were similar machines for triple the money, and they were PRETTY! We grabbed this one on clearance, and it featured some not-so-pretty scratches (hence the clearance price), but it's new and has what we need.
The past few years have seemed to entail a lot of this sort of compromise. What's comforting is to be able to pay for it straight out and not get entangled in a credit situation. I'm sure we'll be happy with the new washer, but it was so tempting to look at the shiny, pretty expensive models, and I am a bit wistful because the last one was one of those shiny, pretty models.
This happened with the microwaves as well (when I melted the old one a couple of years ago!). I had no idea what kinds of fantastic features were available on new microwaves, and I struggled against my desire to get the most fabulous high-end microwave. We ended up with a very nice stainless-steel front microwave with all sorts of features I haven't even explored, and I suspect that I'm just as happy with it as I would have been with the expensive model, after the first month or so. And this was less than half the price.
Anyhow, I think the point of my chatter is that it is easy to get sucked in by shiny, pretty, and unnecessary features. Our society of commercials and credit cards make it even easier to find ourselves victims of bills and high interest rates. We had the same situation when we bought our TV. We did get a very nice, big, energy star television, but I was practically prostrate before the huge, beautiful flat-screens that were, honestly, 20 times as expensive (a few years ago they were much more expensive, actually)! Once we'd made the purchase and I'd recovered from my pangs, I was immensely relieved we hadn't gone into debt for the pricy ones.
Oh, I will say that I am not completely immune to the importance of aesthetics. The acceptability of the scratched washer is largely due to the fact that it goes in the garage. Michael said, "You want the garage to be pretty? Then clean it up!" Yep, he was right. No sense in worrying about a few scratches when it'll be amidst the garage jumble.
The new-ish microwave is quite pretty, though.
My thought today is that by staying sensible and resisting entering the world of credit and debt (again), we receive the reward of being able to live more simply. Frankly, the maintenance plan that they tried to sell sounded like a lot of hassle, too!
Perhaps it's simply important to get our priorities in line before we make big investments. We did not get the cheapest model...we invested in the environmentally sound washer that will save vast quantities of water, especially, over the next many years. That was important. A few scratches for an appliance in the garage? Not really such a big deal. The microwave in the kitchen is a bigger deal, though, aesthetically speaking, and we definitely did not buy the cheapest model--and, honestly, that was primarily because of aesthetics.
I know I'm only talking about shopping (again), but shopping is a big part of our lives. We need to consider what we need, what is important to us, and what we are supporting with our purchases. We also need to consider how what we buy will affect ourselves and others in the future. For instance, an expensive new car may commit us to more stress about working more to pay the bill for it, but a reasonable newish car may decrease our stress levels immensely with its reliability, outweighing the more reasonable pricetag. If we have plenty of money, though, the gorgeous, expensive new car may be just the thing for us.
As for affecting others, we can promote the environment, our health and local businesses at times with many of our purchases. I have incredible room for improvement in this realm. I think I may write more about my positive purchases in this blog, because I am excited about them, but we do more than our share of convenience shopping, too.
The most exciting combination, though, is when the right choice also makes sense for the pocketbook. Great consignment shops work that way, and the environmentally-friendly washer will, actually, eventually save a bit with the water and energy consumption savings.
Happy and wise shopping to all of us!
P.S. As of this week, the lawnmower is also down, so that may be the next 'big' purchase on our end... and no, it's no longer amazing how many things are going out at once!

No comments: