Wednesday, June 30, 2010

mini-recital

The kids are in a fabulous summer camp at Armstrong State University. It's called Art from the Heart and it is supposed to be a smattering of experiences from many artistic venues. It's 2 weeks and culminates in a performance at the end.
This year, as an aside, they decided to give kids the opportunity to have a mini-recital at lunch today and tomorrow. Fiona and Alex played today. Fiona played recorder and Alex the piano, and they both seemed to feel very good about it. How nice! I didn't even go, but it's supposed to really help encourage them to continue their practicing and advancement when they have opportunities to perform. Too bad Fiona picked her performance instrument, though! She's had ample performance opportunities with the recorder, but her last piano performance was last summer, at a parlour recital that I worked hard to put together, as I'd read about the importance of providing performance opportunities.
The lunch recital was just a little thing, but it just amplifies my satisfaction with this camp. I was very happily surprised with their end production performance last year, and I'm looking forward to the one they'll be doing this Friday. It's The Jungle Book, and Alex is Baloo (he even has a solo)!

Oh, the summer recital this year will be at my mom's church...much more laid back, as they'll have a potluck after church and the kids, including my niece and nephew, will perform while folks eat.

I've also read that Armstrong offers a January piano recital 'competition' for independent young students of piano teachers in Savannah, so I'm hoping to look into that. Not for the 'competition', but simply for the ease of having others coordinate it all. Yes, I'm lazy! :)

No comments: