Friday, June 25, 2010

Literary Direction for Kids Update

We're still enjoying the Bible stories. It is quite the experience to read them from a 'history' or 'myth' perspective. We recently read about the venomous snake infestation that occurred to the Israelites during their 40 years in the desert with Moses. Do you remember that? Despite the fact that Moses had a 'cow' when his people had built the golden calf statue in their early desert years, Moses directed the creation of a bronze statue of a snake wrapping around a staff. All sufferers were to gaze upon the statue for healing.

This is totally fascinating! Not only the confusion about this being a possible 'idol', but it brings up the fact that Iris' and then Hermes' Caduceus is of snakes wrapping around a staff, also a symbol of healing and later the symbol of the American Medical Association.

We're not but a quarter of the way thru the Bible stories, but it's much more fun than I had really anticipated. We've already watched two animated movies in association with our Biblical readings: Joseph, King of Dreams and The Prince of Egypt (about Moses). I realize I don't have any movies in mind for the stories of Jesus, though! Most are created for adults that come to mind. It's been really fun to cement our readings with the exciting movies, and I wish I had more lined up!

Upcoming...I found out that Rick Riordan (Percy Jackson Greek mythology-based stories) has recently come out with The Red Pyramid, based upon the Egyptian pantheon. This was not my intended direction, but it's perfect, especially on the heels of reading about the Israelites' stint in Egypt and interactions with the Pharaohs (all the way from Joseph until Moses!). Riordan's books are interesting and kid-friendly, and Alex in particular will have a bit of interest due to his past Yu-gi-oh obsession. We're picking up the audio CDs probably tomorrow.

Meanwhile, we continue our classics, such as those books from the Little House series. We are approaching the end of Anne of Green Gables now, and of course we have the movies and television shows to accompany these!

No comments: