Whew...a couple of realizations...
When I hit the 30-ish typed Word pages (hoping this translates to many more in novel format!), I hit a bit of a writer's block/ lapse in inspiration. I realize that this is also where I quit writing my last novel attempt. Michael, who is at a similar novel length thus far, tells me he was very inclined to drop what he has and begin a new idea, as well. Is this a universal thing? Hoorah for the writing program, which will hopefully keep us committed through to the end.
I was finally able last night to progress a bit, and I'm up on the required word count due to all the extra at first, but I haven't actually met my daily goals for a while.
The second realization is that the kids are no longer my focus. This was a big reason that I wanted to stay home with them, as, when I was working before, I found myself impatient and frustrated with them far more often. I realized that they would be grown before long and I'd have missed out on really enjoying them.
However, this is a 30-day gig and they'll be alright. It's not like I've disappeared... and it's probably good for them not to be center-of-the-universe every single moment. Oh, and of course it's not like I am generally angelic mama all the time, anyhow. I'm just LESS crotchety when I'm not so stressed with outside work and commitments.
An unrelated stressor is that I've just realized that my Facebook info page, which included this blog address, was completely open to all search engines. I removed this blog from search engines long ago, partly due to Michael's work and not wanting to affect his patients as they googled him for information. I am really quite dismayed at the idea that his patients and other virtual strangers have been able to look into our private lives via this blog. Then again, I do have FB friends that I barely know...I just assumed that most of them would no more bother to look at my blog than I would theirs. At least it's a sort of screening process, at least, and I thought that the blog address was restricted to only friends and acquaintances... That FB is a problem, too, with rampant viruses and all such. I've also found that I end up interacting with a whole different set of friends than my close old friends, who are mostly not active on FB.
I'm just whining. Word count is NOT met for today, but I've had some wonderful progress and have discovered Wikipedia to be my dear friend. You know, they even have pages on '1890's in fashion' and '1900's in fashion' by decade? What a boon! It doesn't seem a big deal until you go to write something like, "he put on his topcoat." Hmm, topcoat? overcoat? blazer? what? I have gone back through to add to and modify the dress.
Tip from Writing Kit: SO TRUE! It says to write down the things you absolutely HATE in books. Then, make sure not to include them. The kit claims you will inevitably include them unless you make a point of not doing so.
I thought this was a waste of time, but I realized last night that I had been planning for the past two days to include an element that seemed inevitable, even though I personally would have been quite upset to read it. I suppose those things just lurk in your mind, and you somehow manifest them through your trepidation! Again, blessings on the kit, as I finally remembered what it said (though I hadn't made the list and probably wouldn't have thought of it if I had). I'm so relieved at feeling empowered to stop that negative element from entering my book through my own conscious choices!
No comments:
Post a Comment