Thursday, April 8, 2010

Garden Try Again

I have not found my green thumb. I'm frankly tickled when even a house plant survives my abominable care (as far as that goes, I always feel lucky that my children survived their early years, too!).
However, when my sister told me about her best friend's ardent belief in planting her garden on Good Friday, I laughed at first. I started discussing various bits that I had read, and I was fairly certain the moon wasn't even in the most auspicious phase (not hokey--gardener's have relied on moon phases for hundreds of years, just see your Farmer's Almanacs!). Pretty quickly, though, I stopped laughing and thought, "Hey, she always has a gorgeous, bountiful garden, and I can't grow a thing. Perhaps I should shut up and take note!" So, on Friday morning, I planted seeds and starts in our garden boxes.
Those seeds are starting to sprout out of the ground and are quite exciting to observe right now. I'm not overly hopeful, though, as last year my plants grew and flowered nicely but didn't make a thing. It's exciting to see the growth, anyway, and I still do have a smidgeon of hope, probably fueled by gathering those eggs on a daily basis now!
Stephenie's best friend apparently stayed up far into the evening, bringing lights outside so she could keep planting! It's sort of fun to get swept up in her superstition!
This is the same friend who dumpster-dives at store dumpsters. I doubt I ever (get to?) do that, but I will say that I was admiring a pretty, silver bracelet of quite fine quality on my sister's wrist and asked her where it came from (as she's not typically a jewelry person). Her friend had discovered at least two while dumpster-diving and had given my sis one. Anyhow, that was just an interesting sidenote. It's been fun to hear about this friend over the years, and she's become quite a strangely inspiring character in my mind! My sister feels supported emotionally by her friendship, receives fresh bounty from her garden, and even gets pretty eco-friendly jewelry--I'm liking this friend more and more! She seems to be a true life-long friend for Stephenie, and such interesting and compatible long-term friends are pretty darn hard to come by.

No comments: