Thursday, April 1, 2010

1934 Talkie movie and more sentimentality

Michael and I watched Jane Eyre, starring Virginia Bruce and Colin Clive, last night. It was sheer nostalgia, remembering Granny and thinking that she may have seen the very same movie at the age of 13 with Gaynelle and Aunt Kat. The star sharing the name Virginia was an added bonus, and it was entertaining to see the movie rendition of the novel I'd read so long ago as a girl.
Anyhow, it's hard to believe she's gone. Fiona shares her Taurus birthday, and I realized last night that Granny and I were married at exactly the same age! 18 yrs 11 months. Yes, I am in my sentimental/coincidence-seeking mode right now, I suppose... I took Fiona shopping this morning, and I bought us both shoes for the funeral that reminded me of something my Granny might wear. I've been wearing my nightgown that is like hers were and my shirts made of similar material to her dresses... It's so easy for me to withdraw into the mourning and sentimental state, but I am at a complete loss for how to help or support my Dad, who has always adored his mother. Thank goodness for my sister Stephenie, who jumped right into a take-charge, help-get-things-straight mode immediately.
I've been pulling together our funeral clothes (buying, mending, cleaning) and am otherwise simply in a sentimental fog. Clothes are nearly ready and perhaps I'll make a macaroni pie to take with us... The kids are wonderful and fantastic. They have been only cooperative, and they are becoming so self-sufficient and helpful. I suppose there's no more to say, as I'll probably only be thinking about coincidental sentimental nuances and the funeral and such for the next few days, and I feel quite inarticulate but as though writing will somehow clear the fog... 'Til later, then...

No comments: