So perfect...Ellis seemed like a little utopia yesterday to me. I went in for Alex's quarterly conference, and I had to wait for a bit, so I went to the media center with Fiona to catch up on some of her AR quizzes (they're short quizzes on books, and the kids are supposed to read a certain number per quarter--while Fiona did the reading last quarter, she forgot to take the quizzes, so I'm being a little more diligent).
Anyhow, Ms. Rebecca, the librarian, spoke with us a little. Have I gone on about her before? She's the most perfect librarian. I like to call her that, even though I think it's technically 'media specialist'. She's perfect--a bit prim and always dressed so neatly in a skirt, with her hair just so, but warm and caring about the kids. She'll censor what they check out, and she's asked me before about a scary book Alex wanted to check out. I had no problem with it, but it felt lovely to know that my kids were being looked out for. She's wonderful, and, okay, I'm going to resolve now to volunteer for working at the next book fair! I always mean to help her with that, but it's easy to procrastinate and then not do it. Just love Ms. Rebecca, who takes work home with her, even after hours, and has been so sweet about ordering AR quizzes that I've requested.
Then, I headed up to Alex's sixth grade classroom. Middle school is notoriously hard on kids, but I feel as though Alex is totally sheltered from that. For one thing, they segregate 6th grade away from the 7th and 8th graders--who are even on a different hall. Alex's classroom is actually next door to his little sister's room. What a relief. I have no desire for the kids to grow up too fast. The curriculum, however, is getting more intensive for the sixth graders, and Alex has two primary teachers for his core subjects. They were both at the conference, and they seemed so earnest and warm and enthusiastic about teaching. They both seemed to have high regard for Alex, and they made light of his 'chattiness'. Ms. Carol is planning to move him away from his best friend in class, though. She says, "While I know Alex has no trouble getting all his work done, everyone else isn't the same way!"
Anyway, it was so pleasant. His math/science teacher informed me that he's giving Alex tutorials from the end of the 7th grade math text, so even my worries about Alex not advancing in math were somewhat assuaged. Lovely school, lovely energy, and I'm one lucky parent.
It was Alex's first ever 'report card'. He received all 96 and above. Montessori is not about the numbers, so up until now it's only been check marks, and check plusses for outstanding. However, they have to have grades for their high school applications, so this is the first year they're implementing them for the 6th graders.
You know, not all the parents are so lucky. Many have discussed concerns the teachers have and difficulties with certain subjects and such, but I feel blessed, and as though Alex is living a bit of a charmed life at school. He's happy and sheltered and completely interested in all of his subjects. It's wonderful!
Oh, right! Fiona's conference was last week and went quite well, too. She's having some trouble with completing her work plans. I'm not sure if it's only because she's a slow worker, but I think so. I feel for her, as I was the same way when I was little. I remember how awful fifth grade was, as we had to complete a certain amount of work before lunch, and I'd often miss lunch completely, as I'd be too embarrassed to get it after everyone had been done with their lunches for ages. Anyhow, that's been Fiona's main stressor this year, as she's always worried about finishing her work plan, which rarely happens. I hate for my little sweetie to be so worried about it, especially as she's working pretty diligently, I believe. However, her teacher was very warm and positive, and we've agreed to try it for a couple more weeks. If it continues to be an issue, Ms. Cara will try to adjust her work plan to have a bit less quantity, while retaining the level (so, perhaps just the odd-numbered problems of a math assignment).
I was tickled to see, to my surprise, a poster of the Nutcracker on the inside of Ms. Cara's classroom door today. At rehearsal yesterday, the Columbia ballet gave each of the girls some posters to give out and post. I didn't think too hard about it, but Fiona took it into class and there it was! How sweet that she put it up there. I'm sure Fiona feels special to have her event on the door like that!
Actually, I was a little disappointed at the rehearsal, as it turns out the children seem to be mostly stage candy. Fiona has a little larger role than most, as she traverses the stage and presents to the Sugar Plum Fairy, but it'll take maybe 10 seconds. Oh well. It'll be a good experience. I think she was hoping to dance. The ballet walk is a bit of a dance, I suppose, but not so much.
Okay, that's my catch up! Still hoping to start writing novel 2 on Monday and feeling a bit intimidated!
Then, I headed up to Alex's sixth grade classroom. Middle school is notoriously hard on kids, but I feel as though Alex is totally sheltered from that. For one thing, they segregate 6th grade away from the 7th and 8th graders--who are even on a different hall. Alex's classroom is actually next door to his little sister's room. What a relief. I have no desire for the kids to grow up too fast. The curriculum, however, is getting more intensive for the sixth graders, and Alex has two primary teachers for his core subjects. They were both at the conference, and they seemed so earnest and warm and enthusiastic about teaching. They both seemed to have high regard for Alex, and they made light of his 'chattiness'. Ms. Carol is planning to move him away from his best friend in class, though. She says, "While I know Alex has no trouble getting all his work done, everyone else isn't the same way!"
Anyway, it was so pleasant. His math/science teacher informed me that he's giving Alex tutorials from the end of the 7th grade math text, so even my worries about Alex not advancing in math were somewhat assuaged. Lovely school, lovely energy, and I'm one lucky parent.
It was Alex's first ever 'report card'. He received all 96 and above. Montessori is not about the numbers, so up until now it's only been check marks, and check plusses for outstanding. However, they have to have grades for their high school applications, so this is the first year they're implementing them for the 6th graders.
You know, not all the parents are so lucky. Many have discussed concerns the teachers have and difficulties with certain subjects and such, but I feel blessed, and as though Alex is living a bit of a charmed life at school. He's happy and sheltered and completely interested in all of his subjects. It's wonderful!
Oh, right! Fiona's conference was last week and went quite well, too. She's having some trouble with completing her work plans. I'm not sure if it's only because she's a slow worker, but I think so. I feel for her, as I was the same way when I was little. I remember how awful fifth grade was, as we had to complete a certain amount of work before lunch, and I'd often miss lunch completely, as I'd be too embarrassed to get it after everyone had been done with their lunches for ages. Anyhow, that's been Fiona's main stressor this year, as she's always worried about finishing her work plan, which rarely happens. I hate for my little sweetie to be so worried about it, especially as she's working pretty diligently, I believe. However, her teacher was very warm and positive, and we've agreed to try it for a couple more weeks. If it continues to be an issue, Ms. Cara will try to adjust her work plan to have a bit less quantity, while retaining the level (so, perhaps just the odd-numbered problems of a math assignment).
I was tickled to see, to my surprise, a poster of the Nutcracker on the inside of Ms. Cara's classroom door today. At rehearsal yesterday, the Columbia ballet gave each of the girls some posters to give out and post. I didn't think too hard about it, but Fiona took it into class and there it was! How sweet that she put it up there. I'm sure Fiona feels special to have her event on the door like that!
Actually, I was a little disappointed at the rehearsal, as it turns out the children seem to be mostly stage candy. Fiona has a little larger role than most, as she traverses the stage and presents to the Sugar Plum Fairy, but it'll take maybe 10 seconds. Oh well. It'll be a good experience. I think she was hoping to dance. The ballet walk is a bit of a dance, I suppose, but not so much.
Okay, that's my catch up! Still hoping to start writing novel 2 on Monday and feeling a bit intimidated!
No comments:
Post a Comment