Sunday, November 28, 2010

Fiona in the Nutcracker

Fiona was a Sugar Plum Fairy Attendant last night in The Nutcracker ballet by the Columbia City Ballet. Her role was rather tiny, only a few seconds, but I think it was a great experience for her to deal with the process of the dress rehearsal and backstage--to see the grumpy director and learn about small stuff, such as the nude leotard that performers wear underneath the company costumes.
Neat experience for her, though I have discerned the true purpose for all the tiny roles for children, besides their invaluable 'stage candy' appeal, and that is 'instant audience'. We nearly convinced family members who otherwise would never have gone to the ballet to come and see it, until I realized how very small the role was. Still, they sold 3 tickets that they wouldn't have otherwise, as of course the children's parents and only sib are going to come anyway!
Oh, but it was a lovely show. I was more impressed this time than I was a couple of years ago with this company's Cinderella, perhaps due to lowered expectations. Very nice show, with a very special little ballerina making a cameo appearance!

No comments: