Monday, November 2, 2009

The Red Dominiker

Dominque or 'Dominiker'--this is the black-and-white barred variety, but apparently there is a red-and-white variation that I assume is what she means by 'Red Dominiker' (hen on left)
Black Australorps (hen on left)

Salmon Faverolle!


Barnevelder



Delaware hen


Buff Orpington (hen on left)



Our feathered friends are just a delight! We are all tickled about our four chickens...the sweet, placid, and clever black Australorps and the docile but somewhat less clever and more skittish Salmon Faverolles. My mother laughs when I talk about them and says I've inherited my Grandmother's gene for loving chickens!

Being quite interested in the different breeds of chickens, I asked Michael's mother, Elaine, if she knew what kind of chickens her family in rural Mississippi raised. I was surprised she knew, but she said quite decisively "Red Dominikers". Inquisitively, I went on-line to read about this breed and found that the Dominikers, or more formally 'Dominiques', were the chickens of the pioneers and claim the title 'America's first [chicken] breed'.

The Dominickers lay only perhaps half the eggs of the prolific layers, but they are a hearty and robust bird. They are great foragers and, while calm enough for the chicken yard, they are not a bird to be bullied! Great dual-purpose birds, too, they were grown for both meat and eggs.

Personality-wise, they sound much like the pioneers, don't they? Hearty, robust folks who could make do with little and multi-task! Not the nicest lot of folks, either, as they needed to be somewhat tough for survival!

Apparently, despite their early popularity, these chickens were in decline around the mid-20th century and were considered endangered, but they have come back in popularity just a bit in the last few years, with the new focus on heritage breeds. For historical interest and family nostalgia, I had some interest in buying a Dominicker hen, but I think I may have to pass, as I don't want our sweet, gentle chickens to be dominated by a Dominicker!

Which breeds have my fancy, then? I have heard that the Buff Orpingtons are the most docile, best pet chickens around, and I had a friend recommend hers as the 'favorite' of her family's chickens. They look so fat and fluffy! Actually, the black Australorps that we have are derived from the Orpingtons, which also increases the attractiveness, as the Australorps seem so bright and calm. The Barnevelders have striking, gorgeous plumage. The Delawares are good layers and have a very classic, picturesque look.

2 comments:

Michael A. Ard-Kelly, LAc said...

Do you think a dominiker chick would be able to grow into a hen that would bully the others, as she would be so much younger and therefore lower on the pecking order while she is growing up?

author said...

I don't know...I'm guessing not so much? But any other new chickens would be possible targets. Maybe the Australorps will prove to be hearty survivors...