Monday, November 2, 2009

Halloween Delight!

I have caught the Halloween spirit! I've always liked it and viewed it rather wistfully, to be honest...last year was the first year I had an honest-to-goodness great costume (a Snow Queen), and that was fun, except that I was stuck home due to a recent knee surgery and was seen only by the few trick-or-treaters who came to my door!
This year, I had an unrelated Halloween-night obligation that was cancelled the night before, so I'd put NO thought into a costume. After Alex's soccer game on Halloween day, we went out to eat with Michael's family, and we didn't get home until well about 5 p.m. The thought of putting together a costume never entered my mind until about 4 p.m., when we had an impromptu invite to join my friend Virginia and her family for trick-or-treating.
When I got home, I tried on Fiona's witch hats from the previous couple of years and found they were too small--of course! So, I took a brown cloth hairband and stitched a hat onto it! I put on a simple black long dress and Alex's Darth Vader cape from last year. Green and black face paint, black boots, and Fiona's witch's broom completed the ensemble! I have always wanted to be a witch for Halloween (and yes, I did get the, "why should Halloween be any different?" jokes!), so I was totally tickled about it. I was only slightly dismayed to notice that at least half of the other moms who dressed up were witches as well!
My costume was thrown together hastily, of course, as I was primarily focused on getting my Spider Girl put together! She regarded her fancy bought costume as her formal gown, as of course she would typically be wearing fitted clothes for her normal Spider-Girl activities. Her hair was the pinnacle of my hair-design success, almost worthy of Star Wars itself, I do believe! The goal was to mimick eight spider legs in a 'crown' setting, but I'm not sure anyone realized that until I pointed it out! She looked simply gorgeous until I applied the face paint. Unfortunately, her face seems to have reacted to the face paint and it is red and a bit swollen even now...
Alex and Michael worked on Alex's Ninja costume, which again looked great with no real cost associated. Simple and comfy and fun!

I am delighted to report that, for the second year that we've left candy out on the doorstep in a container, that we've returned to see some candy still there! It gives one reason for hope in the decency of our neighbors and community!
My gripe (and of course there is a gripe!) is about all the folks who leave porch lights on when they're not home on Halloween. It's very disappointing for the kids to continually go up and ring these doorbells only to not receive any reply. Don't people know that a porch light indicates a welcome to trick-or-treaters? If they must leave it on but won't be home, then they should at least put out a bin of candy for the trick-or-treaters who will show up! Otherwise, they should turn them off on Halloween! It's common courtesy!
I swear, I'm thinking of printing up note cards for the kids to tape on the doors of all those lame or uninformed folks next year!
So funny that I can get so worked up over a minor thing like that on such a fun night! We had a simple evening locally with our friends and Michael's parents. The kids looked great and had fun. Oh, and one woman on a barren cul-de-sac gave each of our kids three handfuls of candy, as she wasn't getting any trick-or-treaters! Just an FYI for those of you who stick to the more well-travelled paths!

No comments: