Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Bird Suspicions

Hmm, just following up on my chicken blog from the other day. Know how I mentioned that the Australorps were quite mellow in comparison to the Faverolles? Well, I've been doing a bit of reading and have found that most hatcheries cross-breed and you rarely get a 'purebred' rare breed of chicken, even if that's what's ordered. While Australorps are for more common (and thus more likely to be more 'purebred'), the Faverolles are not--and thus are far more likely to be produced as cross-breeds.
I picked up Chloe today, and she screeched the entire time! I thought she'd calm down after a minute or so, but I finally let her go ('before she had a heart attack!' Fiona quipped). How disappointing! Chloe has a much lighter carriage than expected and only 4 toes per foot, despite the requisite 5-toe 'Faverolle' breed requirement. The possible upside of this is that perhaps she was crossed with a Leghorn--a flighty and fussy bird but very prolific layer! I do hope there is that upside!
Think I'm going to head out now for some nice, calm Australorp bonding time!

No comments: