Saturday, September 19, 2009

Extracurricular Activities Unlimited!

Wow, the kids had their first full week of school (after two 4-day weeks) and are doing great! They are both chipper and even-tempered. I'm truly amazed.

Alex has had difficulty adjusting nearly every year in the fall, but he's taken to his new teacher and classmates this year without a glitch. Not a single issue so far (knock on wood). It's very encouraging. He's also really excited about starting soccer this fall, which is a first for him, though he's been asking for years. Without any inducements, he's been going outside to practice at home on days that he doesn't have team practice.

Fiona has a packed schedule, but she's amazingly enthusiastic and willing to work. On Thursday, even I was dismayed, as she had ballet before school and violin class and taekwondo after school. Three activities on one day! Yikes! Then, we came home and she practiced piano and did her reading for school. Wow. I hover between worry about overtaxing her and elation in giving her the opportunities I wanted as a girl and seeing her explore and excel in them.

I received a permission slip in her bookbag asking if she could be in a recorder class during the school day. I threw out the form at first, thinking, "No way, she's already playing piano and violin...she has enough to do...this could conflict with the Gifted class schedule..." After a bit, though, I started feeling guilty and remembered how excited I had been to play the recorder in third grade. I LOVED it, and I sort of think it was my precursor to the flute--similar note fingerings and such. I reasoned that she's not playing a woodwind instrument yet, it's during the school day and therefore shouldn't count as another extracurricular activity, etc. Besides, I'm so impressed that the recorder only costs $2.50 that it seems like we should do it for the sheer economy of the instrument and free instruction! I still remember that my elementary school recorder cost only $3.00 back in the century past, which I was thrilled about then. The fact that the same instrument is even cheaper now simply blows my mind. Anyhow, with a little trepidation, I asked her if she'd like to take the recorder class, and of course she enthusiastically said, "Yes!" Alex cautioned that she might have to go to recorder class during recess, and she shot back, "I don't care!" He just shook his head in disbelief and seemed to be thinking, "it's your own grave you're digging..." So, of course I had to fish out that permission slip...

I am concerned, of course, about the fact that I seem eager to give her every opportunity that I had AND every opportunity that I wanted. She is optimistic and enthusiastic and tries to do her best at everything. Despite the worry, I do love how coordinated things seem to be. Time management is at our best ever right now. The fact that the dance and violin classes are right at her school and immediately juxtaposed to the school day saves an immense amount of time. I think she can, I think she can...

Alex seems to have gotten a grip on the ability to select his choice activities. He says no all the time to choices that I offer him, and I'm often both disappointed and relieved at his clear "I don't think so." He takes his responsibilities seriously and places a premium value on having some down time to play games and just chill out! So long as he's doing well in his current schooling and activities, which are plenty, I'm happy and a bit relieved.

Anyhow, the kids are both doing well for now. They had a long restful summer, and I'll have to just focus on that bedtime and be vigilant for signs of burnout!

No comments: