Monday, September 28, 2009

Avoidance

Funny the things we'll do to avoid feeling guilty.  Classic 'cut off your nose to spite your face' behavior, really!  The child who avoids her parents comes to mind...
 
Anyhow, I just got off the phone with a very sweet woman from my church.  She was calling with concern because we haven't attended for a couple of months.  I realized that the truth was that I was avoiding going to the church because I felt pressured.  I could totally see their point and how they wanted help with their programs and projects, but I didn't like feeling guilty!  Part of me thought, "well, why don't I just do it?  I could, I have time enough," but the part that won is the part that rebelled.  I did not want to feel guilty, so I stopped attending. 
Anyhow, it's funny how we can make such a big decision based on such a small thing.  I could easily have volunteered some time, and I may even have enjoyed it.  I simply didn't want to feel guilty, so I stopped going.  I didn't want to feel pressured into anything.
Strangely, though, I baffle even myself...  I'm not sure how the other folks are supposed to do all the work without complaining.  I know they didn't intend to drive us away with their demands for help (new 'requirement').  I completely understand the unfortunate situation they are in and how everyone working together in concert can lighten their load. 
Anyhow, it does give me a new perspective, though.  We don't like being told what we 'should' do and being made to feel guilty about it, even if we understand why and sort of inherently agree with the logic.


Insert movie times and more without leaving Hotmail®. See how.

No comments: