Enchanted, I am, by the magic that my newly operational Singer 404 sewing machine wields.
We inherited this early 1960's sewing machine (in its own sewing table) about 5 years ago from Michael's Nana, but we've only used it as a study desk since then, as we never found the power cord for it. Michael had looked into it some time back, and so, when I mentioned to him a couple of days ago that I'd like a functional sewing machine for Christmas, he followed up with a local Singer sewing machine specialist--who has been at it for about 50 years! The semi-retired specialist instantly supplied the power cord and told Michael the secret to plugging it in (upside down and jiggle!). So, for $15 and no extra space requirements, I now have a functional and fabulous old sewing machine! It's a heavy-duty, no-frills machine--a workhorse with just the basic straight stitch.
Michael's mother, who we affectionately call 'Grammy', came by and gave us some basic instruction on how to thread it and engage the bobbin. After she left, I hemmed up several school slacks for Alex. As old as this technology is, and as 'antique' as the machine is, I am still reveling in how remarkable it is. I have been hemming clothes by hand for years, and it takes forever. The machine makes such straight, even little stitches, and I hemmed at least 5 pairs of slacks and shorts in hardly any time. Amazing! That would have taken hours for much messier hand-stitching!
At one point, however, the machine locked up. Michael opened up the machine to oil it and otherwise attempt to get it to work. He was intrigued by all the gears that work in concert to produce the sewing action.
It reminds me of how delighted I became with our bicycles, at one point. I still find it miraculous that sheer cleverness can help to transport us so much further with NO extra energy applied. No gas, no extra labor before or after. By simply reducing friction and putting in levers and gears, we can travel much greater distances with no extra work. Fantastic!
I feel a similar way about the sewing machine, though of course it does use electricity. The clever arrangement of gears makes sewing so much more efficient.
It's my new toy!
No comments:
Post a Comment