Wednesday, September 30, 2009

A Whiff of Waldorf

I am not a Waldorf adherent.  By no means...I am, in fact, more fond of the theories of Maria Montessori, a practical physician who believed in solid, realistic, respectful learning at a child's own pace, implementing hands-on manipulatives and child-size tools and furniture.  However, the draw of Waldorf is the belief in the magic of innocence, a concept that is fairly absent from the Montessori method. 
 
The brilliant Rudolf Steiner developed Waldorf Schooling as a wholistic system to prioritize protecting the innocence and magic of childhood.  Creative play is the cornerstone of the early Waldorf experience, and Steiner developed a curriculum that corresponds to appropriate age and developmental levels for various subjects.  Just because the children are able to learn a subject does not mean that they are ready for it.  He believed there are optimal developmental points that correspond best to different subjects, and I respect that opinion and the wisdom of his curriculum choices to a certain degree.  Therefore, I very much enjoy looking at the Waldorf curriculum and seeing how I can supplement my children's experiences and education with a 'whiff of Waldorf'.
 
Since Fiona and Alex are 2nd and 5th grades, respectively, I have lots of room to fudge with which activities I pull out of that curriculum, especially since I also view any activities younger than 2nd grade as still fair game, if my kids haven't already mastered or been exposed to those subjects. 
 
The Greek myths were a 5th grade level subject.  Perhaps they were a bit advanced for Fiona, but she has enjoyed them thoroughly, nonetheless, and Alex is trying to create car trips for us simply so we can listen to more of the Greek mythology-based Percy Jackson stories!
 
I was comforted to see that both recorder and a string instrument are recommended for third graders, thus validating the choice to let Fiona start recorder.  I am SO pleased that we did so, as she has been so tickled about the recorder that she totes it around with her and is now Alex's recorder instructor!  Yes, he is happily practicing with her and they play a perfectly fine rendition of Hot Cross Buns.  It's cute, though we had a tragic moment when she dropped her recorder from the upper floor of the mall only to smash 20 feet below!  The tears were awful, but the happy part for me was that I had no compunction about replacing the inexpensive instrument.  If her violin had dropped and smashed, it would be a different tune I'm singing!
 
The Waldorf environment is based on simplicity and nature.  Plastics and synthetics have little to do with an appropriate Waldorf environment.  Toys and furniture are wooden; clothes are cotton, wool, linen and silk; and lunches arrive in wicker baskets.  Even the school learning environment is a bit of a throw-back, as Steiner believed in employing rote learning to a significant degree...remember the old days of children reciting their multiplication tables?  I've visited a Waldorf school (in Seattle, WA), and I felt transported into a past day and age, reminiscent of a Little House on the Prairie schoolroom, combined with a storybook/fairytale magic, as they implemented poems and stories throughout the day.
 
You may recall a year or so ago when I tried to start reading Laura Ingalls Wilder's collection of Little House books to my kids, hoping to take them likewise to a more innocent, wholesome time and place.  Instead, we were assaulted with graphic animal death and dismemberment!  Well, that was book one, Little House in the Big Woods, and we only got a few chapters into it before I gave up and started another, less disturbing story (almost anything!)...
Meantime, though, in my perusings of Waldorf curriculum, I found a specific recommendation for the book Farmer Boy for 3rd grade Waldorf children.  Farmer Boy is perhaps the 3rd or 4th book in the series, but it seems to be a stand-alone as far as subject matter goes, since Laura is relating the story of the childhood of her husband, Almonzo. 
I'm not without misgivings, but so far the book has been exactly what I'd hoped for when I originally purchased the collection.  I won't be surprised if she gives way to chapter after chapter on the delightful slaughter of the farm animals, but so far it has truly been just lovely and wholesome.  She paints a vivid picture of the life of ordinary, white American children in the second half of the nineteenth century.  Almonzo came from a good home with good parents, but we are all aghast at some of the common elements of life that were accepted back them.  Corporal punishment and the 'children should be seen and not heard' maxim are our big reactionary points so far, but I believe it's helpful for our kids to gain some perspective by being aware of those elements of life.  Despite the difficulty of those elements, Almonzo has some very enviable perks in life...the structured, solid family; the connection with farm animals and his food; innocent pleasures such as sledding and snowball fights with brothers and sisters; and a certain degree of duty and independence, even at the age of 6 or 7. 
 
I am pleased with this book, thus far, which prompted me to scan the Waldorf curriculum to help create future plans and ideas for activities and readings with the children.
 
One important element that I've 'neglected' is that of handcrafts such as knitting and crocheting.  These are critical in developing fine motor skills and provide a valuable service in allowing children to create a substantial, serviceable item.  Unfortunately, I'm not a handy sort of person with those things, though I have at times both knitted and crocheted, without great success.  I found the process a bit tedious, honestly, so I wouldn't be the best teacher!  In contrast, I'm very enthusiastic about our stories and music, which influences the kids to be that way as well.  Maybe at some point, though, we'll do a knitting or crocheting project together...
 
All in all, though, I've kept in mind the Waldorf curriculum at least a bit over the years.  Our home is increasingly embracing plastics and modernities, but I view our wholistic attempts as creating balance in our lives.
 
Our chicks are actually part of that attempt!  They are finally starting to look like real chickens, which is too adorable!  How fun to see them running all over the yard and peeping!   They spent their first night outside in the coop yesterday, and all went pretty well, it seems...
 
While discussing some basic cow anatomy facts yesterday while reading Farmer Boy, I mentioned that I really needed to get the children to spend some time on a real farm, with real farm animals.  They piped up, "we spend time with chickens!" and I felt a vibe of happy satisfaction at the truth of this... that I am managing to provide them with a 'whiff' of an innocent, magical connection to nature.
 
Did I say "I"?  Yes, I may prompt it, but Michael is so very supportive.  He builds the chicken coop and garden boxes, fixes the sewing machine, and does whatever he can to support us physically, financially and emotionally.  While he's less of a Waldorf and Montessori adherent than even me, he is the backbone of our success! 




Hotmail® has ever-growing storage! Don't worry about storage limits. Check it out.

No comments: