Saturday, September 5, 2009

Fiona wins International Contest!

Fiona's 1st grade Gifted Class last year spent much, much time on a slideshow project called Awesome Creepy Crawlies. Fiona researched and wrote a section about moles, while the other12 kids or so wrote about different 'creepy crawlies'. Fiona worked on about half of the artwork in the slideshow, and she and one other girl co-narrated the script. This was a huge effort and experience last year, and I occassionally thought that her GEP teacher, Ms. Linda, was a bit stuck on the project, but WOW!
At the Media Festival in the library, Ms. Linda casually but proudly mentioned how Awesome Creepy Crawlies had won the local media festival contest, and had gone on to state, where judges had been unable to open the file and had sent it on to the international contest sheerly by default...but it won the International Media Festival! (I've missed National in there, somewhere, it seems!) I'm assuming that's for the first grade projects only, and I've only heard this through word of mouth, but apparently the GEP teachers are trying to pull together a banquet for the kids.
Wish I could post the slideshow, but, well, remember that problem those judges had at state? It takes FOREVER to open and I'm afraid it would lock up everyone's computers!

No comments: