Sunday, September 21, 2008

Laziness confronted!

Just feeling a little guilty here...Master Richard was speaking to the black belt class in taekwondo and said, "there are plenty of talented people out there who are flipping burgers for a living". Why? Because they didn't try. The talent does no good without the effort.

Anyway, he was saying this just as I am in a monumental lull. I am the epitome of laziness this past week. Okay, so I did a few things, like Nordictrack a couple of times and practice the Swedish and piano, attend church and choir and such, but I haven't been willing to work at anything very much.

I've gotten so comfortable with this concept of a mellow life that when I was chatting with Michael and Ken this evening, I said something to the effect of, "working at things just doesn't sound that appealing to me any more"--completely in all seriousness! I didn't even really realize what I'd said until I noticed Ken's raised eyebrows!

A film tonight brought home the power of "working at things". Michael, Alex, and I went to the downtown Trustee's Theatre to see a documentary for the Ocean Film Festival about Jane Yarn, who was a huge environmental advocate for Georgia and the nation. She achieved an incredible amount, although she began as a 40-something housewife. The secret? Tenacity! She was a charming annoyance that wouldn't go away!

While this is somewhat inspiring, the fact is that she died of breast cancer, and I can't help but think how I loathe all the social exertions and feel too sensitive for such work. I fear that I'd die of breast cancer or another disease like that myself. My body reacts so terribly to me not doing exactly what I want to do!

So, while I want to finish this by saying that I'm inspired to work through and show tenacity at worthwhile endeavors, I'm actually kind of happy at not having to, though I do realize that progress and success sort of hinge on that! I'm comfy, though...

I'll think about it--how's that? And, meanwhile, perhaps I'll show some tenacity at following through with a couple more personal goals, like finishing the Pimsleur Swedish course and getting my knee fixed! Maybe I'll improve the school, save the environment, help animals or, most challenging of all, clean my house next year!





See how Windows Mobile brings your life together—at home, work, or on the go. See Now

No comments: