We finished George's Secret Key to the Universe by the Hawkings tonight. I was amazed that the kids really loved it. I actually did learn a little bit myself, though I think I already knew many of the mind-blowing facts--like that we're made of stardust! The kids were very interested in the book--quite surprising me, since I was fully expecting their interest to wane when the story would get bogged down in pages of scientific explanations about the solar system and such. I think it was a great success, really. If anyone knows of other educational fiction, I'd love to hear it--especially as Fiona specifically asked me for another science story for our next chapter book.
I highly recommend The Sea of Trolls by Nancy Farmer as one of the more educational fictional books I've read, but it's extremely violent (with Vikings frothing at the mouth and all). It was really helpful in understanding and learning about some Norse mythology and the whole relationship between the Vikings and their raids on the English coast around 800-1100 A.D. and seeing the growth of Christianity juxtaposed with the older Celtic beliefs. Anyhow, as I said, it's too violent for the kids, but I thought it was absolutely fascinating!
Stay up to date on your PC, the Web, and your mobile phone with Windows Live. See Now
No comments:
Post a Comment