Surrounding the Lasik procedure, several people have implied that vanity may have been a prime motivator for having the procedure done. I initially denied this, asserting, sincerely, that vanity is one of the reasons I did not want to have the procedure done, since I was not at all looking forward to noticing every flaw and blemish in the mirror. In fact, beyond that whole vanity issue, I was afraid of noticing flaws everywhere. I didn’t want to see stains on the walls and specks on the carpets and how badly my car needs washing! I live in my own little bubble, which has just grown immensely! And, truly, it was quite difficult to see myself in the mirror for a day or so, but I think I’m quickly adjusting.
That said, after hearing that vanity assumption one too many times, I erupted into a discussion with Michael about it. What I realized, though, is that vanity does play a role, but more in the sense that I want to be perfect. Superheroes don’t wear glasses (note Clark Kent just wears them to hide the fact that he’s a superhero). So perhaps it does. And maybe there’s a bit of that baseline vanity that everyone refers to, though it wasn’t the primary motivator.
Anyway, it’s interesting to ponder our motives for what we do. And perhaps we don’t admit to ourselves the superficiality of our motives much of the time. And maybe, just maybe, it’s okay to be a little superficial sometimes:).
A final note—as I sat down at the computer tonight, I started glancing around for my glasses, out of habit, before I realized that I no longer need them. Yay!
1 comment:
Sonya,
I so need Lasik, my vision sucks and I have no time for contacts but I also don't have time for the surgery. Like I say with everythiing else, someday.
Also thanks for the tip about Martian Child, I'll try to watch it this weekend.
Toni
Post a Comment