Monday, June 23, 2008

Helmet Reminder

Hmm, I suppose I'm on a public service rampage... I wanted to remind everyone to please wear helmets when riding bicycles or motorcycles and the like. My dearly cherished, kindhearted Uncle Felton has just had an awful accident while riding his motorcycle without a helmet. He has significant head trauma. I don't know what his prognosis is at this point.

According to Michael, my uncle and father were discussing the ridiculousness of laws requiring people to wear helmets and seatbelts and such at the last family reunion--just a month ago.

I always tell my children about the time that I flew off my bicycle and cracked my helmet open--without getting hurt at all, beyond a few bodily scratches. My head was fine, though obviously it would have been cracked open if I hadn't been wearing the helmet, which took that impact for me. It was the cheapest, most ill-fitting helmet available, too, but it did the job. I emphasize to them that they might not exist if I hadn't worn that helmet! Needless to say, they're fairly good about remembering their headgear!

So, again, please wear helmets and encourage, force, beguile your children, family members, and friends to do likewise.

No comments: