On Thursday, I picked up the kids from school after volunteering for Teacher Appreciation Day. I had been so preoccupied with that that I had completely spaced on the 2nd/3rd grade art show that evening. Fortunately, and atypically, Alex reminded me. As we arrived, however, Alex commented, "I wish I had some other clothes. We were supposed to dress up!" I was wearing scrubs and the kids were still in their school uniforms. However, as the event was only 2 hours and we were already late, I had to let that go!
It was a lovely big event. Many were there in fine dresses, they served punch and cookies, and a classical pianist played. Next to the piano was a large piece of art--a feature piece, some sort of purple flower with a green background. I was quite impressed with it and Alex said, "I helped paint that". His name was listed along with three other students, omitting the essential teacher's name. He also had a painting there that he'd done on his own entitled Water Gun Wars. It was a wonderful event, and I was impressed at the artistic techniques that Ms. Tiia, the art teacher and last year's Teacher of the Year at Ellis, has managed to teach such young children. I had spoken with her about volunteering in her art room earlier in the year, as I think I'd learn a lot from her in these elementary school art classes, but I never made the time for it. She has many parent volunteers, though...perhaps some of them have the same idea as me!
Oh, btw, Fiona has decided that she wants to be a full-time artist when she grows up and had brought home a painting (a study in colors) that she had done that day in Ms. Sharon's class.
It was a lovely big event. Many were there in fine dresses, they served punch and cookies, and a classical pianist played. Next to the piano was a large piece of art--a feature piece, some sort of purple flower with a green background. I was quite impressed with it and Alex said, "I helped paint that". His name was listed along with three other students, omitting the essential teacher's name. He also had a painting there that he'd done on his own entitled Water Gun Wars. It was a wonderful event, and I was impressed at the artistic techniques that Ms. Tiia, the art teacher and last year's Teacher of the Year at Ellis, has managed to teach such young children. I had spoken with her about volunteering in her art room earlier in the year, as I think I'd learn a lot from her in these elementary school art classes, but I never made the time for it. She has many parent volunteers, though...perhaps some of them have the same idea as me!
Oh, btw, Fiona has decided that she wants to be a full-time artist when she grows up and had brought home a painting (a study in colors) that she had done that day in Ms. Sharon's class.
No comments:
Post a Comment