Today, Charles Ellis Montessori Academy celebrated 100 years of Montessori education and 20 years of Montessori at Ellis. 2008 marks the Centennial Anniversary of the opening of Maria Montessori's Children's House (in 1908, of course).
Maria Montessori was actually the first Italian female physician--so we can deduce that she was strong-willed and incredibly smart! Her first assignment was an unsavory position working with mentally handicapped children in a hospital ward. Maria achieved remarkable success with those children using practical, hands-on learning tools (now known as Montessori Materials). She later took these materials and implemented them with normal, poor Italian children when she created her Children's House. Needless to say, her system and theories of education have taken off.
I feel for poor Maria, though, who did not actually raise her own son, Mario. She must have channelled her maternal energy into all of the other children in her world! When I feel inadequate for not creating a new system of education or not running a huge practice, I just remember the fact that I get to spend time with my lovely children. Who knows...other such things may come later, when they're grown. We've got long, long lives ahead of us! Anyhow, I'm grateful for Maria Montessori's wisdom and efforts and love the fact that my children are being raised with a Montessori education.
It's easy to add contacts from Facebook and other social sites through Windows Live™ Messenger. Learn How.
No comments:
Post a Comment